Is my ghost shrimp pregnant or what, look at the pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just got these shrimp, not sure if they are eggs tough, help?!

Attachments

• image-3873507529.jpg
    image-3873507529.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 124
  • image-918604375.jpg
    image-918604375.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 95
From what I can tell it looks like she has eggs. They carry the eggs between all those swimmer legs under their body. However, ghost shrimp are almost impossible to get hatchlings from. I have researched and researched and everything I read says the babies are so small and go through a larval type stage and most get sucked into the filter, eaten by fish, or starve because they have to have tiny, tiny food. Stuff like Daphne and micro plankton. My shrimp have eggs all the time and still no babies. I have been thinking about moving one into an enclosed fry basket and seeing if I can see the little ones hatch. Then try feeding them some powdered fry food I found. Seems like a lot of trouble with them being so cheap though.

Ok, well its kind of good that most won't make it to adulthood, I'm not trying to be mean, i just bought 8 for a 10 gallon aquarium, so I don't think I have room for more

Well none will make it at all. I had 24 ghost shrimp in my 10 gallon. The more the merrier!

Back
Top Bottom