Is my pH killing my betta? HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
W

WiNGSPANTT

Hi

I just set up a 5 gallon FW at my work, it has been running for about 1.5 weeks, and I recently added a snail and my betta from home. They have both been acting sluggish, and I tested the water, which came up 0 am/ 0 ni/ 5 na, pH 7.6 The betta and snail just lie there, not dead or looking sick but not really doing anything unless motioned at... unusual for either one.

Is the pH what is bothering them? Is this way too high? will it kill them? The substrate is SAND, though I used the same substrate at homein a 10g with no problem. Maybe the tap water near work has high pH?

Can I just throw in some "instant 7.0" or something? will this kill the fish/snail? Should I remove them from tank immediately? please help!

water temp is 26.4 centigrade so 79.52, yes controlled by a heater

What is the test kit you are using? And is it liquid or strips, and how old is it?

All of your other parameters look perfect, and if the temp is indeed kept constant then that is not an issue. What kind of bulb is on the tank? I have heard of small tanks with normal incadescent bulbs fluctuating several degrees when on (ie ABOVE what your tank would normally be at), which is just as bad as having no heater and the tank getting cold at night.

Since it's less than 2 weeks old, and it's not cycled, keep tabs on that.

Like 7 said, what kind of test set are you using?

Another thought I had was did you remember to use a dechlor when you set up?

Yeah I used dechlor, and was using a liquid kit about 3 mo old; I have sealed the kit every time, should be no problem. Yeah it might be cycling but as I checked there seems to be no major water problem. Also is it possible the snail is just dormant in lightning conditions? I put him in a cup in poland spring water and he was isntantly more active, eating moving around ,etc...

i would do a water change just in case. try using spring water instead of tap water.

I changed 60% of the water; he's still acting the same, so maybe the tap here is bad or something. I would have put spring but there was no reasonable way to put that much spring water in here at my desk. I will test the tap water, and the new 60/40 mix also...

well, my betta died last night, i came in to see its body this morning

i had the lfs run a test and it did not turn up anything crazy

sigh.. maybe it was just his time, or the stress from the tank change messed him up

Back
Top Bottom