Is purigen worth the extra money?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope, not worth it in my opinion, just use the good old carbon :) only time I had ever had to use purigen was when my tetras got white spot and its well know not use medicines with carbon so switch to purigen until treatment was complete.

But purigen is just a expensive version of carbon, clears your water and nothing more, waste of money.

That's funny, the primary reason to use purigen is because its less expensive and easier than carbon.

The cheaper activated carbon is used up within 2 weeks while the good stuff doesn't last over a month. Purigen on the other hand will last well over a year. It cost me about $24 for purigen and the bags to use that with if memory serves. This yielded 6 bags of purigen. Each bag is good for around a year. $4 for a year's worth of purigen for 1 tank.

The activated carbon I bought on the other hand was $9 which, if I was using it regularly I wouldn't expect to last more than a single year on any of my tanks. That's not counting media bags either.

Back
Top Bottom