Is Tank age an issue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Wonderful

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good Day fellow aquarium lovers:

I have a 22 year old Marineland 65 gallon tank on a Mairineland stand. No issues with leaks or other problems. But I am wondering if the tank needs to be resealed or even discarded due to its age.

I know some aquarium stores with older tanks.

Appreciate your responses.

Its far more likely to need resealing if it has been left empty for some time than if it has been running continuously. Moving tanks around can put strain on the seams more and will make it more likely you spring a leak.

Silicone should last 20 to 30 years so you are getting into the longevity of the tank. Some people recommend resealing tanks every 10 years to be safe.

I would inspect your tank a little more frequently than perhaps you would otherwise. Check the seals with a paper towel to make sure there are no leaks, visually inspect the silicone for cracking or peeling, maybe a gentle manual inspection, if the silicone is stiff and rigid rather than pliable then it may be on its way out. If you are planning on moving the tank then it may be an opportune time to get it resealed or just get a new aquarium.

Thank you. Great points. The tank has been full all these years. I am very careful when scraping the glass (algea) not to get close to the seals.

I will feel the seals a bit in short time.

Perhaps what I would do is keep the tank as an emergency tank and start with a new tank. I would just need a new tank as the stand is the same as my 40 breeder tank.

I have 40 year old tanks that sat empty for 20 years with no leakage issues when I re-set them up. The tanks range from a 40 gal, 2-30 gals and a few 10 gals. While there are never 100% guarantees, unless you see obvious breaks or damage in the silicone, you are probably fine. Keep in mind that the old tanks were made better than many of today's tanks. They used heavier glass, silicone made especially for aquariums and care. :whistle: (y)

Check the silicon (glue that holds the glass together) for cream or white patches, and for any bubbles. These are signs the silicon is breaking down.

Good silicon will be firm but slightly squishy. Silicon that is hard or brittle needs replacing.

Back
Top Bottom