Is there such a thing as too much filteration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am thinking of getting a Marineland Emperor 280 Filter System for a 29 gallon tank(filters 280 gph)

Will this be in any way too much ?

Good filter, lots of power. It'll be fine. I've used Penguin 330s on 29 gallons (330gph) and never had a problem. I consider the Emperor 280 to be superior to the Penguin 330 so you'd be set for ANYTHING you want to put in that tank, just about.

ferret said:
Good filter, lots of power. It'll be fine. I've used Penguin 330s on 29 gallons (330gph) and never had a problem. I consider the Emperor 280 to be superior to the Penguin 330 so you'd be set for ANYTHING you want to put in that tank, just about.
thanks I am thinking of getting 6 tiger barbs ,4 zebra danios and 2 scanvengers ..Any suggestion on the scanvengers? Also is the bio load ok?

I MIGHT end up with a tank less than 29 gallons - maybe 26 to 29 gallons.

Your load sounds fine, and the filter sounds fine. I tend to "overfiltrate" but unless there is a current ripping through there that impairs their ability to swim I think overfiltrating is much better than underfiltrating.

The knee-jerk response to scavengers is going to be cory cats, but there are some other cats you could consider, or the smaller loaches.

I'd suggest Green Emerald cories. I've just recently in the past month gotten these guys and they're amazingly active little fellows.

I would actually suggest against the Zebra Danios. I've had them for a long time and found they well..er.. Really don't add much but fenetic darting about. Give a consideration to the Serpai tetra (Also known as red minor) if you get green tiger barbs, or if you get the normal ones I'd just consider bumping them to 8 and not worrying about another fish. Tiger barbs are great, very active.

ferret said:
I'd suggest Green Emerald cories. I've just recently in the past month gotten these guys and they're amazingly active little fellows.

I would actually suggest against the Zebra Danios. I've had them for a long time and found they well..er.. Really don't add much but fenetic darting about. Give a consideration to the Serpai tetra (Also known as red minor) if you get green tiger barbs, or if you get the normal ones I'd just consider bumping them to 8 and not worrying about another fish. Tiger barbs are great, very active.

so you are saying 8 tiger barbs + 2 scanvengers or just 8 tiger barbs ?

Er. Barbs + Scanvengers. And if you go with the cories, at least 3 of them.

4 green emerald cories and 8 tiger barbs would look really good, but that would definately be about max for that tank. The cories would have the bottom covered, I doubt it would be a good idea to try to do more than 4, and the barbs get a good size and need all that swimming room.

The Emperor 280 would take good care of those guys.

You can overfiltrate, but with what you are getting you wont. I always advise getting a more powerful filter than your aquarium actually needs.

Back
Top Bottom