Is this driftwood a-okay for an aquarium? ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubbaboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here is the piece I want.

4dZwWen.jpg

Here are some close ups:
0Hp2xb0.jpg
uvNbOSg.jpg

f9fRiaX.jpg

And here is where the branch is from:
7Mi1qp0.jpg

*EDIT* Close up of the leaves:
8fZhyzy.jpg

Please let me know if this is safe for an aquarium! thank you!

Here is the piece I want.

Here are some close ups:

And here is where the branch is from:

Please let me know if this is safe for an aquarium! thank you!

It's maple wood isn't it? I THINK it's safe, but you will definitely need to remove the bark.

It's maple wood isn't it? I THINK it's safe, but you will definitely need to remove the bark.

Yeah haha i was just trying to remove some. Right now it's pretty hard to remove... will soaking it make the bark easier to remove?

Yeah haha i was just trying to remove some. Right now it's pretty hard to remove... will soaking it make the bark easier to remove?

Yes soaking will make the bark come away easier and if youve found this wood i would soak and boil it for at least a week. If the barks hard to get off because the branch is alive i personally wouldn't use it.

Last edited:
This looks to be pretty fresh wood which isn't particularly good for an aquarium. I would honestly soak it for at least a month if not more. When looking for driftwood you need to look for stuff that is well weathered and has obviously been out in the elements for quite a while. Last spring I went down to the local river and found mounds of good driftwood after the winter melt.

I'm from south Louisiana and live near the mouth of the Mississippi River, could I use just about any piece I find?
I could have sticks make it down from canada! Possibly... Haha

I'm from south Louisiana and live near the mouth of the Mississippi River, could I use just about any piece I find?
I could have sticks make it down from canada! Possibly... Haha

As long as the wood isn't soft, rotten, or fresh and looks like it has been in the water for a loong time then it should be okay. Try pressing your fingernail into the wood and if it sinks in then the wood is too soft.

This looks to be pretty fresh wood which isn't particularly good for an aquarium. I would honestly soak it for at least a month if not more. When looking for driftwood you need to look for stuff that is well weathered and has obviously been out in the elements for quite a while. Last spring I went down to the local river and found mounds of good driftwood after the winter melt.

I know. I tried debarking it and it's too hard. it kinda sucks cause that was a nice shape... oh well

Last edited by a moderator:
What about drift wood from the ocean, used in fresh water ponds?

Back
Top Bottom