Is This Normal?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

backmamba

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently got 4 giant danios for my 55g freshwater community tank.

I thought they wpuld be gentle and school together. But i was wrong!

All they do is seperate from eachother, and if they ever get close its a nonstop fight. They always try to hurt eachother..... Is this normal!?

Schools are usually 6+. Might try to get a few more to spread any aggression and they might school better.

I don't have experience with giant danios but I have the smaller long finned zebra danios and they'll frequently chase each other and display their fins, can look quite violent but they never actually hurt each other and it's pretty normal IME. As they're new it may simply be that they're establishing dominance. I'd keep an eye on them for now and see what happens. From what I know danios only really school when there's 6 or more so adding one or two more may help. Hopefully someone with experience with giant danios will chime in and correct me if the info i've given you is wrong, but hope that helped some :)

Danios are definitely not gentle fish lol but I think adding more to make a proper school would work then you'll see them as a group at the top of the tank

Back
Top Bottom