I've got bacteria!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enki

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have my new 50 gallon all set up, plumbing and rockwork in place, filter up and running, even a handful of rocks from the good lfs for a starter seed.

I start adding ammonia for my fishless cycle, and doh! I spill in 10 times more than I wanted, easily.

One really big water change later, my ammonia level is not quite 4, so I figure I am ok, probably.

3 days in and the ammonia is dropping slightly and nitrites reading .3ish. Ammonia is still above 2, so I am not adding any more yet. I have also reworked procedures to avoid any repeat incident.

I have noticed a benefit that fishless cycling brings that I have seen no mention of elsewhere; It is like a 'dry run' of the tank. I can work out my water change routine and practice a bunch of tasks I'll be doing when I have fish, but I don't have to worry about hurting them yet :)

Oh yeah, I am setting up for about a dozen Aulonocara baenschi and 3-5 Synodontis petricola.

My tap water starts off pretty good for African rift lake species: Ph of 7.5. no nitrates or nitrites. Fairly hard but no number on that yet, that test kit comes next payday :?

Anyway, I am excited about my new microscopic friends and had to share with folks who would appreciate my enthusiasm for bacteria. LOL

There is also a pic of my tank pending approval, check it when it is up! Update: pic approved :)

Update: You can check pix on my own webpage :)

http://homepage.mac.com/cappmonkey/PhotoAlbum52.html

Thanks! I am pretty happy with it. I am really happy that I got the rocks ( <1" thick sandstone slabs and petrified wood chunks) for about $30 total.

Back
Top Bottom