I've noticed something...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atlarge

Aquarium Advice Activist
After two or three years of keeping aquariums I've noticed that I'm no longer relaxed when I'm watching a tank. Instead of just watching the fish swim I'm seeing two inches over an acceptable bio-load, a tiger barb that keeps bugging the angels, ect. Now I critique tanks instead of watching them, I need to calm down :? . Has anyone else noticed themselves doing this?

i haven't been into aquariums that long and I am already doing that. This fish is bugging that fish....should that algae really be in the tank?....the usual stuff. I think that is why it is addicting...because there is always something else to do....always another problem to solve, always another way to improve or change the tank!

I love it...call me crazy, but it's great :p

I only relax looking at my big blackwater tank. It is so perfect I couldn't ask for better (except clarity instead of tea bag..that is my trade off I guess). Even overstocked as it is. Every time i test it makes me relax more. My dutch tanks are relaxing.
The other 8 keep my nails paired and me grey-haired. :roll:

My platys keep having fry in my 46g tank...there's 2 fry who have managed to survive in there for about a week. I've come to the difficult decision of leaving them to their own devices (after saving many previous siblings). The problem is that I catch myself "policing" the tank...yelling at the adults when they nose around where I know the little guys are hiding....distracting the adults to keep them preoccupied, and generally growing more stressed by the second. (but in a fun way). :mrgreen:

The only tank I have thats peaceful when I look at it is my female betta 10gal, and my male betta 10gal.

Its so peaceful to just watch them, but all my other tanks I do nothing but stress.

Especially my 29gal FW cause every time I look at it I worry " How am I going to get a bigger tank, cause that Bala and CAE are only inches away from needing a new home, Maybe I should sell them? No, They were my first fish.. no way I could part with them. THeir to precious to me, but I have to give them a good home even if it makes me sad " ect ect.

We are supposed to relax?? OMG thats what I have been doing wrong. Jk of course. I think after a while you dont relax because there is always something new you want to do, or fix, or find, or or or

My 10g tank relaxes me. All of the fish get along perfectly now, the water is crystal clear, something new and interesting is always going on. This tank is in the bedroom and the sound of the bubbles coming from the corner filter puts me to sleep every night.

My 26g stresses me out. Recently I just can't seem to get the water perfectly clear like on the 10g. It maddens me to look at it because all I see is cloudiness when I look in the tank even though it is about 99.9% clear. The tank has been as clear as the 10g in the past, I just can not seem to get back there. The Tetra in the 26g is moody and recently I believe the Ram has been whooping the Tetra's butt because the Tetra has a broken fin so that concerns me as well. And finally I always think my Pleco is dead because I NEVER see it :(

I have had a 29 gal. for years and never blinked, or thought of it .... just occasional water and filter maintenance and then gazing into it from time to time ... then recently a friend gave me their 55 gal. .. and BAM! . I have ich for the first time (I have to learn what it even is), a large canister filter to fuss with (leaks), large/new fish that I worry about, a member of a fish forum, a new 10 gal. with fry, and my friends think I'm becoming some kind of nerd :eek:

Atlarge said:
After two or three years of keeping aquariums I've noticed that I'm no longer relaxed when I'm watching a tank. Instead of just watching the fish swim I'm seeing two inches over an acceptable bio-load, a tiger barb that keeps bugging the angels, ect. Now I critique tanks instead of watching them, I need to calm down :? . Has anyone else noticed themselves doing this?

8O

We're supposed to RELAX?!!!

I'm relaxed, I'm relaxed,.... just much more involved than I anticipated.... it caters to my OCD I think :p

It goes to show you why you must be careful to get fish that will cohabitate well and not to overload your tank. If you have compatible fish, don't overcrowd them, and keep the water chemistry in balance, you should have a highly stress reducing tank to watch.
-mark

marknmelissa said:
It goes to show you why you must be careful to get fish that will cohabitate well and not to overload your tank. If you have compatible fish, don't overcrowd them, and keep the water chemistry in balance, you should have a highly stress reducing tank to watch.
-mark

I have five tanks. Something is always either wrong or not quite right. My discus are more picky than anything I've seen, including other discus. It's not crowded, 8 fish in a 90 gal. I have a fifty five species tank of a kenyi-rabbit mix, if you know what I mean. I've got a twenty long with a pair of immature needles, a ten with a betta and 4 dwarf corries, and another 55 with a pair of oscars. I just sold a 75 with mixed south american cichlids as a display tank (I'm so proud of that. :D ) and a 30 with shellies.

I'm in the market for a 150 gal for my most challenging tank yet. I'll give details at a later date.

And I have never had a fish die unexpectedly or due to bad water conditions. *puffs out chest*

I'm always looking for a problem, but believe me, if I find one it's fixed.

Edit: Spellcheck'D

Yeah, I can still zone out and relax. The couch is in perfect position for me to lay on one of the arms, and I can stare right into the 55 or the 15. It works out pretty well. But after only a few minutes of relax time, I find myself cracking up at someones quirky personality (which is still relaxing)
. :)

i think that the only time you are relaxed is when what you want is there and everything is setup and you just watch......................and watch................and watch but is that the whole point of fish keeping i dont know all i know is that i love it.

Back
Top Bottom