Jack Dempsey Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andydg

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was told that Jack Dempseys are good cichlids for a 55 gallon tank. What specific things to JD's need as far as water, substrate, filtration (found a brand new Fluval 304 in the back of the store and my boss is giving it to me), hiding spots??? Also do they need live plants in the tank??? How many can I keep in a 55 and what other fish will they get along with??? I have some bristle nose fry my uncle gave me that are being raised in my community tank that I was thinking about putting in there when they're about 2-3 in. long. I'm prolly going to have some more questions shortly but I can't think of any right now. Thanks in advance!!!

The Jack Dempsey, Cichlasoma octofasciatum do very nicely indeed in a 55 gal tank. They are Central American cichlids and can get reasonably large...up to 10 inches. Like most other Central American and South American cichlids they can be quite aggressive (probably the reason the Jack Dempsey was named after a prize fighter). They are tolerant of most water conditions but seem to prefer pH between 7.0 and 7.6 (this is not critical).

Like most of their cichlids bretheren, C. octofasciatum will happily re-arrange any fancy aquarium decor you provide them with, especially during breeding time. They will often tear up live plants so if you want to provide some greenery then you might consider plastic plants. Give them some structure like rockwork or driftwood and they'll be happy.

As for tank mates...they must be able to stand up to the Jack Dempsey. Oscars (Astronotus), Firemouth cichlids (Thorichthys meeki) and Green Terrors (Aequidens rivulatus) immediately come to mind. Keep in mind that all of them get fairly large so you'll want to keep the number of specimens in your 55 gallon tank to a minimum and expect the occasional squabble between the fish. Large bottom feeders should not have too many problems with these cichlids.

Cichlasoma octofasciatum is VERY easy to breed and they produce a lot of fry so make sure you have some way to get rid of the extras.

I'll agree with everything Fruitbat said, and add more. I have a Dempsey - his name is Champ - he's a great fish and tons of fun to watch! Be careful though, Dempsey's are bullies. He's not afraid of anything, even the Oscar who's three times his size.

Be careful with how many fish you put with him, too - I'd put a max of 2 more cichlids in there with him, and a pleco. Nothing more or you'll be overstocked.

What would be the absolute best cichlid you could put in with them, other than an Oscar...I have an Oscar too, so I'd like somthing a little different, but if that's the best tankmate then that would be what I'd get??? Also what are some of the larger bottom feeders??? I know about Plecos and now I know about the Channel Cats, but what else??? One last thing, how early can you distinguish between males and females??? Thanks in advance again!!! :D

Andydg...

Green Terrors (Aequidens rivulatus) are fairly commonly available and make good tank-mates for Jack Dempseys. Blue Acaras (Aequidens pulcher) also work well. You might also consider things like Severums (Heros severum), Convicts (Cichlasoma nigrofasciatum) or Red Devils (Amphilophus labiatus). The Red Devils might be a bit much for the Jack Dempsey but some people have done it and gotten away with it.

Jack Dempseys are difficult to sex when they're young. The males are usually darker in color and have longer, more pointed dorsal and anal fins than the female.

'Plecos' make good tank-mates for large cichlids as do some of the Pimelodella cats like P. pictus.

I agree with Fruitbat again!

I have a convict and a green terror, and they're both cool. Forced to choose, I'd go with a red-tailed green terror, but they can be hard to find. Cool fish though!

Back
Top Bottom