Jen's 6G Fluval Edge Build?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenatron

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys!
So, I bought a Fluval Edge 6 Gallon on Monday 12/21/10 on saleeee. :]

The next day I went to Pet Supermarket, then Petco, then Petsmart, and then Petco again. (Can you tell I've obviously got some great LFS's in the area? ;])I was probably in Petsmart for a good 1 or 2 hours. I was looking at decorations and fish and also talking to the fish-woman for that night who surprisingly knew what she was talking about! ;]

I picked up a mag-float, some fake plants, fake driftwood, and a little tower-thing from Petsmart. I got some sand at Petco. And I finally got Prime at Pet Supermarket.

iDreamInSaltwater and I set the tank up that night.

My MR11's came in the next day, so we put those in. I expected a difference, but WOW! Its lookin noiiiice. ;]

So I let it sit after that until today and had some odd phantom-mini-cycle-thing. I posted in the Getting Started forum about it, but didn't really get any satisfying answers.

-12/24/10
P.H: 7.4 - 7.6
Nitrites: 0 - 0.25 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm
Ammonia: 0.4 ppm
-12/27/10
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 0-5ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm

(My theory was something in the tank, like decorations, was possibly used before and returned? Possibly brought some bacteria into the tank? I don't know, just speculation...)

Today (12/27/10) I "re-scaped" because I thought it was a little over-done, so I took out 2 plants and rearranged. Also, I got some air bubbles out of the sand and evened the sand out. Also, finally dosed with Prime.

I didn't disturb the sand at all. It's crystal clear. ;]

So that's everything up until now. I'll have some pictures down belooww. :]

Now I have to wait for the real cycle I guess? So that leaves me time to think about stocking! I'd already had an idea in my head, but that didn't work out. So based on what you see, what do you think?

Thanks for reading, I'll be updating! :]

Good stocking, bananagrams, yes? :]
img_1188914_0_b6cdd8ccf2ae77ccab8502ac5e33b9d3.jpg

Nasty halogens. :[
img_1188914_1_953bb9a39dc9c79adf4a77fa2a908fcf.jpg

Pretty LEDs!
img_1188914_2_4316895d7a9324b4cc6966b1b9bda8c8.jpg

See, didn't disturb the sand at all... ;]
img_1188914_3_354618f9925b3d34b7f4a9897ba77b66.jpg

P.S. Who knew you could use too many smilies?! :[

P.P.S. I'll be submitting a picture (not posted here) in the January picture contest when it rolls around! Look out for that, I'll probably mention it.

Cute little tank!

No clue on your mystery nitrite reading. It may have been a misfired test.

I read in a forum the other day that nitrAte testing at this stage is pointless, as the liquid test will read nitrate as nitrite. So if it was present, it would have shown on the nitrate reading also.

So guys I've been thinking about stocking.
I was thinking 7 harlequin rasboras and 5 RCS.
I checked on AqAdvisor (which I know is only a guideline, and is typically conservative) and my stocking level is only at 87% and my filtration capacity is 217%. So I wanted to check with ya'll and make sure it sounded okay?

Cool tank! As far as stocking goes, I would have to say no to the harlequins, they can get 2 inches max and need 20 gallons or more. Have you considered CPD's and shrimp?

Tyler

Cool tank! As far as stocking goes, I would have to say no to the harlequins, they can get 2 inches max and need 20 gallons or more. Have you considered CPD's and shrimp?

Tyler

I hate CPD's.. Lol. I'm very picky about fish. Not saying you're wrong, but I've just heard varying things about Harlequins. I've heard they get around 1.5" but then also 2". I've also heard they are typically less active than tetras (which are usually what are recommended for the Edge) but then I've heard they're very active. :confused:

Edit: I also heard that CPD's occasionally eat shrimp! I just remembered, while googling for stocking ideas I read on another forum about a few people who had very negative experiences with CPD's and shrimp.

I have harle's in my 30 and they are more active than my black skirts.

Tyler

That's what I'm afraid of. :neutral: What about glowlight tetras? Too active?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Besides a betta or a purely shrimp tank? lol

Endlers are good small fish. There arent many options when It comes to stocking 6 gallons.

Tyler

For what its worth, I really, really, really would not stock a 6 with rasboras.

We have a 6 in my bedroom with two small killies and RCS in it.

For what its worth, I really, really, really would not stock a 6 with rasboras.

We have a 6 in my bedroom with two small killies and RCS in it.

I've heard other rasboras (dwarfs) suggested. Is that any different? :/
*For reference (since I hadn't previously heard of many of them) they grow to ~1" or less typically.*

That could be an option if you can find them, just don't overcrowd them. I've seen some pretty cool looking one's on the net.

Just do more research to make sure they are okay with a tiny tank, even if they are tiny themselves.

I beleive I have a nano rasbora. It's tiny, cute, and holds it own in a pretty lively tank of much bigger fish.

I don't know what he/she is because I rescued it out of a 30 gal. tank I bought full of incompatible fish and no one has ever been able to properly ID him for me.

That could be an option if you can find them, just don't overcrowd them. I've seen some pretty cool looking one's on the net.

Just do more research to make sure they are okay with a tiny tank, even if they are tiny themselves.

I beleive I have a nano rasbora. It's tiny, cute, and holds it own in a pretty lively tank of much bigger fish.

I don't know what he/she is because I rescued it out of a 30 gal. tank I bought full of incompatible fish and no one has ever been able to properly ID him for me.

Yeah. I've been scouring the net. It's just hard because there's not too much info here for very small tanks. Yet most of the other websites are unreliable. They'll suggest microrasbora's.. :king: And then 12 cardinal tetras.:rolleyes: It's frustrating.

So I've found 4 microrasbora's (now most are microdevario) that I really like that stay under 1":
-Bororas Merah
-Microrasbora gatesi
-Microdevario kubotai
-Microdevario nanus

The recommendations I found suggested a tank just slightly above my tank size. (1" more) I also found some other websites suggesting them as appropriate fish for nano tanks. So I'm a happy girl! :)
The only part is, I've been at this for hours and the information is kind of scarce. Does anyone else have experience with these fish? Also, anywhere I could possibly order them from?
Thanks. :)

I like the look of the white sand. Very cool.

What LED's are you using? Is it something built specifically for that tank, or is it an adaptation?

I like the look of the white sand. Very cool.

What LED's are you using? Is it something built specifically for that tank, or is it an adaptation?

Thank you. :)

They're MR11's. I got them from Amazon in the color white. They fit right into the existing socket, no rewiring or configuring at all. :)

So I've found 4 microrasbora's (now most are microdevario) that I really like that stay under 1":
-Bororas Merah
-Microrasbora gatesi
-Microdevario kubotai
-Microdevario nanus

The recommendations I found suggested a tank just slightly above my tank size. (1" more) I also found some other websites suggesting them as appropriate fish for nano tanks. So I'm a happy girl! :)
The only part is, I've been at this for hours and the information is kind of scarce. Does anyone else have experience with these fish? Also, anywhere I could possibly order them from?
Thanks. :)

We've got Boraras merah (phoenix rasbora) and Boraras brigittae (Chili rasbora) available. They each top out at about .8 inch and would be great IMO in a 6 gallon. Just let me know if you're interested. :)

We've got Boraras merah (phoenix rasbora) and Boraras brigittae (Chili rasbora) available. They each top out at about .8 inch and would be great IMO in a 6 gallon. Just let me know if you're interested. :)

I'll keep it in mind, thank you. :)

Back
Top Bottom