Just put some feeder fish in my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j_randall1702

Aquarium Advice Regular
I put 7 little roseys in my 75 gal. My convict got one a my jack dempsey got one. My oscar had 5, and still looked hungry. He ate all 5 in the time it took a convict and a jack to eat just one. I have never seen my oscar move so quick, he was just darting around the tank chasing roseys.

I never feed my fish anything alive, feeders are raised in such horrible conditions that many of them carry diseases. I lost my piranahas and my barracudas to feeder fish. I wish someone had warned me, or that they just stop selling the darn things!

The only viable way to give feeders from what I have read, and I am not advocating this as I do not believe it is neccesary, is to keep some in a tank yourself. That way you know that the fish are healthy and well cared for.

A friend of mine had a feeder tank of the normal single tailed goldfish that became his centre piece! He used those big white pebbles and a lot of hardier plants to great effect, looks kinda like the goldfish pics in the new TFH. Mind you he has become too attatched to them so they are no longer feeder fish, never name fish you intend to sacrifice!

Agreed. I would never feed live fish (unless they were feeder guppies that I raised).

Earthworms however are an excellent source of high protein for larger fish. They are easily cultivated requiring very little space. A google search on earthworms will show you how and where to start. :wink:

my friend fed his oscar a feeder comet, and he got extremely bad ich, surprised he made it out of it, but that was enough to turn me away from feeder fish. we still feed them earthworms, and locally caught dace.

Back
Top Bottom