Just what WILL my Bala Shark eat??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Citicricket

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My bala shark has lived happily in my tank for just over a month and I don't think I have EVER seen him actually eat anything! He swims around and seems active but at feeding time he might grab a piece of food that is passing by but he spits it right back out. I can see that he is getting quite thin and he isn't as active. The rest of the fish are healthy and aggressive eaters. I really hate to loose him but I've tried bloodworms too and he just isn't bold enough to get to one before the others (platies and tetras mostly get to them. Any help would be appreciated!

Tank size? Normal food being used?

Bala's tend to stick to the middle of the tank and usually eat food as it sinks, rather from the top. Mine ate flake just fine.

I have 2 balas, and they eat anything they can fit into their mouths, lol. I feed flake, freezedried bloodworms and brine shrimp. You may want to try 2 different varieties of food in one feeding to see if he takes one over the other, or if more choice wakes up his senses.

As ferret said, they are mid-dwellers, so make sure at least some of what you are feeding sinks. They usually swim around the middle and grab the food as it's falling.

I have a 45 gal and I'm just using an average flake food. I do try to stir up the water a bit when I feed so some flakes sink but they just float right on past him, he shows no interest. I sure hope he isn't sick!

If you are trying a variety, and he still isn't eating, and you are concerned, I would take him out, and place him in quarentine. See if he eats when alone, and observe him very closely...if he is sick, you are most likely to notice when he is by himself rather than in a community tank.

Back
Top Bottom