Just when you thought you had seen it all...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw painted glass fish at a Petco when I was stocking my tank and I thought about getting them b/c they looked so neat. I didn't know that they were dyed or tattoed to make them, I just thought it was done through genetic engineering of a natural but non-dominant trait. I decided against them b/c while they were cool to look at they didn't look natural and I like my aquariums to look natural (ie, I use a rock gravel and a plain blue background, along with rocks rather than a bright colored gravel and ornaments).

If I saw those fish Tortis posted I might not have realized that they were tattoed, but I would definately recognize that a fish that said "I love you" on it wasn't created through genetics! Poor fish, that has got to hurt. :cry:

That's ridiculous! Thank you for bringing this up Toirtis, It's good to know.
This board is fabulous for such things. I was going to stock my tank with "pretty" painted tetras, the nicest baby blue and baby pink fish I'd ever seen..."Isn't mother Nature wonderful?" says the clerk at Walmart...luckily I has no money that week. What do I find a few days later here on AA? A post on dyed fish! Needless to say I didn't get those tetras.

Thanks again Toirtis,

ive seen the baby blue and baby pink tetras at the lfs that i go to...the guy was trying to get a couple to buy 2 baby blue and 2 baby pink for their kids...2 blue for the boy and 2 pink for the girl...at that time i was just knew in all this and didnt know the colors were fake...ill make sure to bring that to their attention next time...its just horrible...it gets on my nerves...ive also seen people dying the hair of their dogs to match the owners hair color...you know...those crazy bright pink or blue...she thought she was very cool with her dog as i was passing by with my two beagles...and i just said to her...not cool...not cool at all...its so sad... :(

On a funny note....awhile ago I saw bleeding heart tetras and I swore they were tattooed cause the little heart in the "heart area" looked like it had to be fake. But alas that was mother nature.

I was visiting a relatively new lfs in my area and seen some dyed albino tiger barbs. It was so stupid, the normal tiger barb being orange with black stripes are stunning. They dyed the albinos pink. Mix that pink with the peachy/orange color the albinos are supposed to be, they ended up being this hideous fake orange. So, they dyed them, sorta back to the original color, just lacking the black bars. :? And just to add insult to injury, they had some with them labeled blue that looked green. Hmm, don't we already have a green tiger barb? :evil: I made them aware of how absolutely appalling it is and suggested they read the article online "death by dying". Needless to say, they were quite happy to see me leave. I'll make a point to stop in from here on out just to check up on them and complain when necessary. This is the exactly the kind of place who would sell tattooed fish. :(

Back
Top Bottom