Keeping a tank cool in hot weather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zpacam

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two goldfish in a 10 gallon tank and I wanted to know how to keep the temperature reasonably cool. The thermometer fluctuates between 80-85 degrees. I am unable to move the tank to a cooler room but I try to keep the blinds closed in the afternoon. What can I do? Is this unhealthy for my gold fish? Thanks.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i am no tsure whagt u could do except move it to a cooler room or get a window unit. but iknow u probaly dont want that

I have heard of people floating a bag of ice in the water. I have never hada need to try this myself, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. A couple of cubes melting over time, I would think would be just fine.

I asked this same question last week. People suggested floating a bag of ice, or putting a fan to blow on the surface water. It increases evaporation (which can be bad) but it causes the water to cool.

I can't do the fan because both of my fish are jumpers so I have a tight cover. And I never had a chance to try the ice cubes because we had a major cold front come through for the past week. Temps are supposed to rise again this week so we'll see!

-brent

zpacam, two goldfish in a 10 gal are cramped---most people recommend 10-20 gals per goldie.
Goldies are not tropical fish and would like lower temps. With a 5 degree temp swing, your fish are stressed. Try a fan and a bag of ice so there is not a cold spot in the tank and the water circulates. What type of filter are you using on the tank?

Ok, the temps outside got to around 95 degrees and the water temp rose to about 85 degrees. I tried the fan idea and got the temps down to 75 degrees after about 3 hours at the lowest speed. So the fan worked very well!!! I also tried the ice cube idea but it really made no difference at all. I think the only way ice would make a difference is if you had a lot of it! (I used one ice cube tray)

Menagerie, I use an eclipse filter. My fish are about 1 inch long each.

Everyone - Thanks for all your help!

How bout getting a small water bottle and save the cap. Fill with water with at least 1 inch to spare from the top and seal. Place in freezer. You can then float these or rotate out (more bottle needed of course) as needed and then re-freeze. No bag wasting as you can use these self contained ice bottle over and over.

that's a good idea jaysono. and actually what i would recommend to that is if you filled the bottom of the bottle first w/ heavy rocks (or something of the sort), and then filled with water and froze, it might be enough to sink the bottle. in a 10 gallon tank reaching to the bottom is easy. having the bottle frozen at the bottom of the tank might disperse the cold temperature a lot better, rather than just sitting on top.

-brent

Back
Top Bottom