keeping axolotls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glovesred

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I kept a juvenile axolotl in my fish tank for a couple of mnths, unfortunatly he got quite ill and died. I then brought another one, a juvenile, but one of my fish attacked it during the night and tore all its gills off, and of consequence he died! My suspects was either it was my pictus catfish, or my pakistan loach. I also keep newts in my tank and have an elephant nose, and a siamese shark. Can antone tell me which fish is likely to be doing the damage, as id like to get another axolotl?
thanks

I would immediately distrust the loach and the shark. That being said, and axolotl is best kept with only small, peaceful fish, like guppies (which will also provide the more mature axolotl with a food source). Depending on what type and size of newts you have in the tank, they are potentially going to be swallowed by that axolotl (who may perish himself from doing so)....an adult axolotl is a big amphib with a big appetite and a big mouth.

Hmmm, well il think il wait till i can afford a seperate tank for one! as it seems literally impossible to keep them in mine. Thanks for the response.

Back
Top Bottom