killer pink gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xwesx1978

Aquarium Advice Freak
so yesterday i bought , a school of sail fin molly , a beautiful solid white male that had had scales that reflected blue , i also got him three girl friends for his harem , two white and two white with black spots.

well i come home and my large pink named Moby had the male in his mouth and all the females were floating dead.

hes never been aggressive before and all of a sudden hes a killer , on the up side the apple snail i bought is alive and well

Last edited:
Gouramis are related to bettas in that they breathe from water surface, they are territorial, and typically can't stand other gouramis/gourami look a likes...
The sail fin might have set off that defense trait...

Pink gouramis get 8 inches or more in length and are not pleasant fish in the least. Sounds like you either need to return yours or stock your fish with tough bigger fish. You will need a 55 or 75 eventually to house the gourami.

xwesx1978 said:
so yesterday i bought , a school of sail fin molly , a beautiful solid white male that had had scales that reflected blue , i also got him three girl friends for his harem , two white and two white with black spots.

well i come home and my large pink named Moby had the male in his mouth and all the females were floating dead.

hes never been aggressive before and all of a sudden hes a killer , on the up side the apple snail i bought is alive and well

Sorry to hear about your loss :(

I had two Golden Gourami (one male, one female) in my 63 gallon community tank. I bought two new juvenile Angelfish at the weekend, introduced them in the usual way & he went 'nuts'! Chased them relentlessly, pushing & biting until I intervened and placed him in my other tank. An hour later one Angel had died, the other Is missing a few chunks of fin, but otherwise ok.

He used to chase the female Gourami a bit, but nothing like that in the 4 months I'd had him. My LFS took him back & now tranquility has returned to the tank thankfully!

Back
Top Bottom