Koi fish vs. gold fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agentnerdo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey...i currently have 1 koi fish in a 10 gallon tank...and 2 goldfish in a 35 gallon tank....i wanted to move my koi fish into the 35 gallon tank...any chances that it might attack/eat the gold fish? or should i move the koi fish into the 35 and the goldfish into the 10 gallon tank?

plus, any suggestion on any other types of fish i shold put in the tank?

I have koi and goldies together, what size are the fish? I have no problems and I have some very small goldfish and some rather large koi.

koi is about 3 inch and goldfish around 1.4 inches

any thhoughts of what i should put in the 10gallon tank then? its in my room so i wanted somethin nice..somethin that can surfive cold temp

I have an outside pond, my koi is about 19 inchs and I have several 2-3 inch comets in the pond with him. He never bothers them at all.

You definatly need to move the koi to the 35 gal and add no more fish to the 35gal tank because it will be pushing the bioload.

White clouds can survive cold temps- you could get a few for your 10gal tank... or if you splurge for an $8 heater, you could have more options

are you planning on getting a bigger tank? those three fish will outgrow that 35 gallon tank pretty soon if you are taking proper care of them. I personally wouldn't put a koi in anything as small as a 55 gallon.

I agree they will get along (I keep a mixed lot) but this is temporary as they will all outgrow the 35g tank.

agentnerdo you may not realize it but koi can get up to and over 36 inches, and depending on the type of goldfish between 8 to 12 incheswhere as 2 fancy goldfish may be fine in a 35 gal, both comet and feeder goldfish will become close to 12 inch in a very short time and will need much more room, and as for the koi it goes without saying, they are pond fish and should be kept in fish tanks

Ahhh GM right now I am having enough trouble trying to figure out where the Christmas tree will go. LOL, I haven't ruled out the possibility though. 8)

rubysoho said:
I personally wouldn't put a koi in anything as small as a 55 gallon.

to be honest.. I wouldnt put them in anything short of 500 gallons.. they are super messy fish.. not to mention they will get very big.. there are Do it yourself indoor pond projects that would fit your needs nicely In My Honest Opinion.. :p

here are a few links.. :p
By the way. Zagz.. I found a project on wetwebmedia since chatting to you about this project.. you might want to check that one out as well.. :D

aquariacentral's indoor pond project
wetwebmedia.com's indoor pond project

very true! I was thinking a baby (itty bitty) koi could stay in a 55 gallon *temporarily* ... should have been more clear.

Now, those indoor pond plans, pretty cool. Wonder what my landlord and downstairs neighbors would think :twisted:

rubysoho said:
very true! I was thinking a baby (itty bitty) koi could stay in a 55 gallon *temporarily* ... should have been more clear.

Now, those indoor pond plans, pretty cool. Wonder what my landlord and downstairs neighbors would think :twisted:

no problem rubysoho.. just another excuse to post the indoor pond links :twisted: :biglol:

just build one thats shallow to dispurse the weight.. the neighbors downstairs would never know :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:biglol: :wink: 8)

Back
Top Bottom