Kuhli loach tragedy - a cautionary tale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orlon11

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank had been up for two months, so I decided it was time to add some Kuhli loaches. I've been reading that they like to be in groups, so I picked up 6.

Everything seemed well for a couple days, I would see them occasionally when they poked their heads out of the woodwork.

But then yesterday one of my threadfins died. Sad, but I didn't worry that much about it..fish sometimes just die.

This morning I found a dead endler and a dead kuhli. No time to do much about it, fished them out and went to work.

This evening, my other two endlers were also dead. I lifted up a piece of driftwood and found a kuhli who had clearly been dead a long time...he was all covered in white mold D: I think he probably died the day I got them or soon after.

So I took out all the hardscape, found another dead kuhli under a rock - and my last male cherry shrimp too. I've done a large water change and put everything back the way it was. Here's hoping nothing else dies!

I'm down to three kuhlis, three threadfins, a bulldog plec and a few shrimp. It's been a discouraging day. Anyways, wanted to share this in hopes it might help someone else - if you have fish who like to hide, keep a close eye because you might not notice right away if one of them dies and it could really mess up your tank!

Back
Top Bottom