Leeches!!!!! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also have a tank with some goldfish. I find that with goldfish you don't need any other "cleaner" fish. Mine will eat algae, snails you name it. I just wish gold fish didn't grow so big. Since you found the leeches sucking on your fish then they are a true problem for the fish. My leeches lay eggs as you describe in brown sacks that or nearly indestructible.
Wish you the best of luck

Reactions: jlk
Update on the leech situation. I spoke with my local pond store & they said copper sulfate will not kill leeches (but will kill everything else). My one goldie site suggested using a product called Life Bearer (also an organophosphate) which I found online very inexpensively & I am ordering this today. I am giving the leech traps a try first though before dosing my tank with toxic chemicals...see what happens!

jlk said:
Update on the leech situation. I spoke with my local pond store & they said copper sulfate will not kill leeches (but will kill everything else). My one goldie site suggested using a product called Life Bearer (also an organophosphate) which I found online very inexpensively & I am ordering this today. I am giving the leech traps a try first though before dosing my tank with toxic chemicals...see what happens!

Any progress?

Trying the leech traps! Ive caught a some so far so I guess thats progress! I ordered some DHTP (called Life Bearer) but im still debating on whether to use it or not....

How are the traps working out? Getting any of those little suckers!? ;-)

Im catching a few!! Havent found any new ones (yet) on my fish but ive been removing egg cases off the filters a few times a week as well. I figure offering raw meat vs trying to catch the live stuff is a bit more enticing!

Back
Top Bottom