Leeches!!!!! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlk

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone!!! I am LOATHING even writing this but there has to be someone that has an answer! If you are not familiar with my 'leech' thread, here it is: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/what-is-this-187475.html

Well, I threw EVERYTHING out, bleached the heck out of the tank & the filter housings (outside in bleach for a wk) and recycled my tank with pure ammonia. Finally, I was happily able to get everything together & finished the tank (and cycling) & added back 2 fish (leech-free). Well, this weekend I swished the filter media in a bucket of tank water because they were getting a bit clogged and my 2yr old aptly pointed out 'theres a bad wormy'.... and she was right!!!

So, some eggs evidently survived in sections of filter housing I could not completely take apart and scrub. Bleach does not kill the eggs nor does anything else short of burning. In my leech research, I discovered these egg cases can survive the intestinal tract of a mammal (hydrochloric acid, anyone?) only to hatch months or even years later when conditions are right. Same for drying, freezing, heating, etc.

I am at a loss here. I cant afford to destroy this tank again nor do I want to. There has to be something to kill the adults so there are no more new eggs. I asked at my local lfs (The Hidden Reef) and they looked at me like I had three heads and claimed to have never heard of such a thing. I asked on one of my goldie sites and was told to destroy the tank again. Another fellow aquarist suggested levamisole but didnt know if it would actually work or not. Does ANYBODY know how to kill these things without destroying my tank again??? Maybe a combo of levamisole & fenben? I figure this would be a less expensive alternative to total destruction....any thoughts are appreciated! I figured I would add a new pic of these beings from heck... :banghead:

Attachments

• 100_3013.jpg
    100_3013.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 212
Thanks, Librarygirl! I this is enough to make me question my sanity in keeping fish altogether.... :(

Holy flerkin shmidt! Are you serious? I'll help search the net for any more info and ask at my LFSs in the morning.

Ok here's a few bits of info I found:

They reproduce sexually. Maybe not helpful, but interesting.

Some say the treatment is the same as treating for flukes.

Dimilin, unknown dosage.

Formalin, unknown dosage.

Ok, a member on one of my goldie sites said 'dylox' (organophosphate insecticide sold as a 'grub killer') will work. Is anyone familiar with using this product?

Yes, I just saw that! I guess I am going to be on the hunt for grub killer! Time to hit Home Depot! Thanks!!! :)

Ok, mathematicians, according to the link on DHTP, DHTP should be administered at a dose of one level teaspoon per 2000gals of water (or .25ppm). How on earth do I translate this to a 55g tank? A few granules??

Ok, mathematicians, according to the link on DHTP, DHTP should be administered at a dose of one level teaspoon per 2000gals of water (or .25ppm). How on earth do I translate this to a 55g tank? A few granules??

If the dose is 1t/2000gal, then it would be 0.0275 teaspoon to 55 gallons. Here's the math:

1tsp = x tsp
2000gal 55gal

So 2000x = 55, x = 55 = 0.0275tsp/55 gal.
(This 2000 should be below the underscored 55 above, but I can't move it there.)

So, rounding it off, it would be approximately 3 hundredths of a teaspoon of powder/granules.

Anybody agree/disagree?

Back
Top Bottom