leechy/snaily things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady Sketal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. Just joined the site, and it's great, especially since I'm not a fish/aquarium expert.

So, I have a question. I have these leechy/snaily looking things that are very small, and are slithering around the glass in my aquarium. I did not put them there, and there are no fish in my tank right now. Where did they come from, and what are they? Are they harmful to fish?

Really confused,

Lady Sketal

I had some get into my aquarium off of some plants I bought. Is this a new tank, or is it equiped with previously used parts?

It's hard by your description to tell exactly what is in there. Is it possible for you to post a picture, or give a more detailed description?
Yours Truly
fishstixs05 :D

yep, looks like a snail without a shell

My aquarium is new, and I bought live plants to put in it when I first got it, but I've thrown them out.

So, you think they came from the plants, that makes sense.

They make me shiver when I look at them b/c they're multiplying....any advice on how to get rid of them? The new fish that I got when I bought the tank died a week and a half later, and I was clueless to why??? Are these nasty little buggers my answer? B/C I kept the temperature correct, didn't overfeed, dechlorinated the water, and regularly changed the ph level. I even did a 15 % water change when I saw that my fish were acting funny, but didn't understand why?

Obviously, I'm going to have to do more than just wash out the tank b/c I'm sure those things have layed eggs, and is why they are multiplying.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. I'm going to drop by a different pet store (from the one where I bought the fish/plants/aquarium) and take in a sample of these guys, I'll let you know what they said.

Thanks for the quick replies,
Lady Sketal

its still really hard to say without MORE of a descripton... What is small? 1 centimeter? Less? Are you POSITIVE they dont have shells? or are they too small to tell? What color are they? Do more come out during night?

Really, if there are no fish in your tank I would take everything out and start over again. Scrub and sanitize (boil) what you can.

By small about a half a cm or so at the biggest. There is obviously no shell, because I have seen pond snails smaller than that with shells before. That is about the best description I can give.

Could they be WORMS!? If they are you can always look into traps. Worms can sometime be dangerous and sometimes they can't. There isnt much of a reason to have them in an aquarium and they don't look very nice anyways so normally your better off safe than sorry. You can buy traps or make your own. Here are some links you might want to see. Figure out what kind of worms they are (if they even are worms,) and then youll know what kind of trap to get.
http://www.algone.com/worms.htm#worm trap
http://www.netpets.com/fish/reference/reefref/bristle2.html#trap

Back
Top Bottom