Lemon Tetras want to be bottom feeders.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoNitrates

Aquarium Advice Regular
When I got them they wouldn't eat the cheap flake food I had. So I got Omega One color flakes. They go to the top a little bit to get them, but mostly want to steal the shrimp pellets from the Corys. And they're teaching the Emperor Tetras to do the same thing! I've been putting the flakes in first and waiting about 20 minutes to drop the shrimp pellets in. But most of them wait for the pellets. What do you recommend?

My tetras, neons and green fires took awhile to come to the top for food and would only eat some pellets I dropped in. Id say around the three week mark. Now they eat everything.I'd wait awhile and see how it goes.

Try feeding something like a small amount of frozen brine shrimp which most fish love before putting in pellets. A fish will often go to or wait for a favorite food they know is coming instead of eating what they don't want. I have a lot of bottom feeders and depending on how many you have you can use both pellets and some algae wafers at the same time.

I don't think it's what I'm feeding them that matters. There appears to be something wrong with some of them. Although they all look fine, the larger ones don't have much of an appetite like the smaller Lemons. And those are the ones dying. I've lost 3 of them in the past 5 days. Water is good-0 amm, 0 nitrites, 5 nitrates, PH 7.6 temp 78F.

Sounds like you got hold of some weak fish. Are all the rest of your fish fine?

Back
Top Bottom