Light for a fish bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briemol12

Aquarium Advice Freak
The title says it all. Any tips to use as light for my fish bowl?
Thanks
Bri

What kind of fish bowl are we talking?

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Does it have a lid? Or is just a plain bowl? If so I suggest moving your little friend to a larger tank. Most come with lights.

I highly discourage using a fish bowl. In a proper set up you would 100% need a filter, and more than likely a heater, which are often incompatible with fish bowls. 2.5 gallon tanks, or even 5 gallon tanks are around 10 dollars at petco. What fish are going into this setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I highly discourage using a fish bowl. In a proper set up you would 100% need a filter, and more than likely a heater, which are often incompatible with fish bowls. 2.5 gallon tanks, or even 5 gallon tanks are around 10 dollars at petco. What fish are going into this setup?

Not necessarily. I don't advocate bettas in a bowl or anything similar but all tanks don't need a filter, heater, and light. I have a NPT (el natural, Walstad) tank that is zero tech. I also have 3 breeding tanks that run off sponge filters and no heater.

Depending on OP's experience, size of the bowl, and amount of routine maintenance it can definitely be successful.

For the most part though, I would say your average fish keeper needs some type of filter. And typically a heater. And really, I don't believe a fish bowl should ever be used. No fish thrive in that type of environment. A filter is almost always beneficial and normally heaters are too.

Just read through the thread again and saw you said it was a betta bowl. What size is this bowl?

Just read through the thread again and saw you said it was a betta bowl. What size is this bowl?

How did we go from asking a simple question to a full on questionnaire?
But anyways ... My bowl is 2g, he has a heater so his water is always on point, and I clean it weekly just like my 20g and my 5.5g.
NOW, any advice on my actual topic that I posted???

How did we go from asking a simple question to a full on questionnaire?
But anyways ... My bowl is 2g, he has a heater so his water is always on point, and I clean it weekly just like my 20g and my 5.5g.
NOW, any advice on my actual topic that I posted???

Well to be fair you were very vague initially. ;)Everyone was just concerned for the well being of your fish. Ok, While I would recommend you move your fish to a 5.5 gallon tank. However, you can have a beta in a tank that size and have it live a pretty good life. a few years back before I was really into aquariums I had a beta live 4 or 5 years in a big 2.5 gallon drum bowl. I would never do that now but it is possible. For a light I would just get something like a clip on desk lamp or something similar. You could get a nifty little led lamp and it would work great. Hope this helped! (y)

I have no way of knowing your experience as a fish keeper. Bowls are generally not considered the best place to keep fish, so I wanted to make sure you were aware of that.

I would use a clip on LED or use a mini CFL no more than 10watt raised up, so you aren't growing algae.
Light on timer, 6 hours a day.

Get an Anubias or Java Fern growing in there. Maybe float something.

No plastic plants, silk only. My Bettas always had a bridge to sleep under in small tanks/bowls.
http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=htt...ornament-zid36-18169/cat-36-catid-300071?null

My last boy in his 10g palace
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426442888.778699.jpg

I would use a clip on LED or use a mini CFL no more than 10watt raised up, so you aren't growing algae.
Light on timer, 6 hours a day.

Get an Anubias or Java Fern growing in there. Maybe float something.

No plastic plants, silk only. My Bettas always had a bridge to sleep under in small tanks/bowls.
http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=htt...ornament-zid36-18169/cat-36-catid-300071?null

My last boy in his 10g palace
View attachment 267392

adorable :)
Thanks for sharing

Back
Top Bottom