Light Kelvin??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MantisX

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently ordered a bright kit for my 10 gallon from ahsupply.com. I ordered the 1X36 model. I chose the 6700K 36 watt bulb but I really didnt put much thought into it. Was the 5500K a better choice? I heard that sometimes 6700K doesnt output all of the colors in the spectrum as accurate?

6700k is fine. Kelvin is ONLY a measure of how the light looks to the human eye on a special black background. CRI (color rendering index) is a better measure...and a spectral graph is best.

In general, anything from 5000K to 10,000K is gonna keep plants very happy. Most of us mix our K temps to achieve a color that looks good to our eyes and satisifes the plants needs.

Thanks Malkore. I wonder could I find a comparison somewhere on the internet? Ive always wondered how people achieve the "dark hole" look in some aquascapes, yet the light is so bright in other places.

The lower the kelvin the more the bulb will favor the red side of the specitrum. The end result is a light that is more yellowish in apperance.

oh ok. I had a light that gave off that red effect before. I didnt like that very much, so I might as well keep 6700. By the way, it came in today and I got it in the hood. It doesnt look as bad as I thought. The only concern I have now is the rumors ive heard about 65-6700 kelvin not allowing most red plants to grow red.

Back
Top Bottom