Lighting...5500K, 10,000K or both?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plowboy91

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am about to purchase new lights from AH Supply (which has been extremely helpful) and I will be using the 4 X 96 watt setup for my 125gal. I am going to use 2 - 6700 K bulbs but I don't know what two other bulbs I should use them with:

2 - 5500K bulbs
or
2 - 10,000K bulbs
or
1 - 5500K and 10,000K (not sure this would make any sense)

I realize that the 5500K creates a 'warmer feel' (morning or dusk) while the 10,000K creates a 'cooler feel' (bright blue sky)

What is everyones' opinion on this and are there any pics that I can find that illustrate the differenceso I am not taking a blind shot?

thanks!

I have always preferred the cooler look. I just like how crisp it makes everything look. But the warmer light is also appealing.

For me, I would choose the 10,000k

I think it also depends on the background and substrate. What color is the background and what substrate are you using? This is simply for looks of course. I've seen some tanks that look great until they switch to a warmer/cooler light and the coloration of the tank just loses its affect.

Lets see some pics of your current setup :)

I prefer a mix, actually. I run a 2x65W on my 29. I have the 6700k come on for a few hours, then a 10000k comes on and they overlap for a while. At night the 10000k stays on alone until lights out. This gives me even utilization of the bulbs, and aesthetically I enjoy it.

Haha, well....

In late october the one corner of my tank popped open overnight causing me to put all my fish and plants into a 35gal. I had already empty and putting about 100 gal of water on my floor (a lot was soaked up by small area rugs). Anyway the pieces of my glass top fell in since the tank became wider and the lights followed into the tank. Needless to say it has been partially resealed and is awaiting a new stand and some top reinforcing so a picture isn't possible.

Of course the CO2 setup would not work with my smaller tank so most of my thriving plants are now gone/barely alive in the 35 gal. (which is ok b/c I wanted to upgrade lighting to get plants that do well at 3 wpg)
Also don't have a background! haha

However I just remembered I have pics of the tank when I first started it...

Attachments

• dsc00371_136.jpg
    dsc00371_136.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 38
  • 1_169.jpg
    1_169.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 33
Back
Top Bottom