Lighting for a 20-gallon tall tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

somecallmedaniel16

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have recently changed my 20-gallon tall tank (24" x 12" x 16") to a planted aquarium, with aponotegons, lilies, anachris, and hornwort. I now have a 15-watt 18" bulb in a light fixture that only allows a maximum of a 19-watt light. I am looking into getting more lighting for my tank, to fit the rule-of-thumb of at least 2 watts/gallon. I cannot seem to find any appropriately sized lights with enough wattage. Any suggestions? :confused:

Coralife and Current USA are some relatively cheap options for upgrading either to power compact or HO T5 lighting. Each company makes 24" strip lights. I'm not sure if the HO T5 strips only come in twin bulb models or if you can get a single strip... a 2x24W HO T5 fixture would be a TON of light over a 20 gallon and you'd be looking at a high light planted tank at that point (HO T5's have rendered the WPG guideline pretty much useless). If you go with a PC strip, I'd get a single bulb strip. Should be either 55 or 65W. Check Drs. Foster & Smith or Big Al's online for cheap prices.

I meant 24" fixtures. Most fixtures include bulbs, you just have to make sure you are getting a daylight bulb instead of a 50/50 (actinic light won't help you with your plants). Wherever you order them from should specify what bulb you are getting. For example, Coralife calls their FW fixture the FW Aqualight, it just means that you get a dual daylight or 6700K bulb included. The bulbs are only available in certain sizes/wattages so they are easy to find when you need a replacement (about every 8 months). For a 24" fixture they will either be 55 or 65W (both are the same physical size and both will fit)- the only thing you need to worry about is whether your fixture uses square pin or straight pin arrangement bulbs.

Here's a link:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsU...fefreshwateraqualight24powercompactlight1x65w

Last edited:
Would such a lighting fixture, like the one you've linked, fit int he place that a canopy has for the lighting fixture? Or would it require having no canopy on the tank?

Would such a lighting fixture, like the one you've linked, fit int he place that a canopy has for the lighting fixture? Or would it require having no canopy on the tank?

Probably not, although I guess it depends on how tall your canopy is from the top of the tank. If you already have the canopy I'd look into purchasing a retrofit kit. These are kits that include a ballast, reflector, and wiring (and sometimes bulbs I think) that you install directly into the canopy. They are usually cheaper than comparable light strips and lots of folks use them in a canopy. Here is an example:
36 or 55 watt Bright Kits

I am trying to find adequate lighting for a planted 20 gal. high tank. The width of the tank is 20 inches. Does anyone know of a light which will fit the width of this tank. It is basically the width of a 10 gal tank. I need at least 2 fl. bulbs or some kind of compact that will fit nicely on top of tank.

I am trying to find adequate lighting for a planted 20 gal. high tank. The width of the tank is 20 inches. Does anyone know of a light which will fit the width of this tank. It is basically the width of a 10 gal tank. I need at least 2 fl. bulbs or some kind of compact that will fit nicely on top of tank.

I'm assuming you're talking about a 20 gallon XH (20"x10"x24" I believe) rather than a 20 gallon H (24"x12"x16"). If so, this would work:
Compact Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Dual Satellite Compact Fluorescent Fixtures

Funny I just posted on a very similar thread....I'm using the Current Satellite 24" 65w on mine and it was about 65 bucks at the LFS. I'm also running a 20gh fully planted tank as well. It's doing great - the light came standard with one compact bulb providing half 10,000k and half actinic. You CAN purchase the full 10,000 k bulb on both sides tho at my store anyway. The bulb is covered with a splash lens and has the electronic ballast, and lunar light for nightime. The price is great and the lighting is plenty for a 20g tank. Also it has the docks come standard so it will stand up over the tank a few inches but you still have to beware of fish jumping out if your not covered! :)

Local fish store. It's generally much cheaper to order fixtures online.

I've never heard of that company MG. Do you have experience with them? Those prices seem excellent.

you would if you clicked my links more often. though i dont own any my self havent bought new lights in a couple years i know of several people i know and trust who has ordered. they are not the best they a good. though your not paying the price for top of the line.

Back
Top Bottom