Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a new 48" strip light to go on top of my new 55g tank. The bulb I got for it said 7000K, so I thought it would be perfect for growing plants. But....it is only 40 watts. That isn't enough wattage for maintaining the plants, is it? If not, can someone find one online that is what I need? I have been on big al's and can't find a bulb that would be 2 x 55g wattage. Isn't it correct to have 2xper gallon for plant growth? Which would be in the 110 wattage range. Confused. I was thinking the K rating was more important when I bought it, now I am remembering the whole wattage thing. :confused:

The whole watt per gallon thing is outdated and was calculated at a time when there was not a bunch of different specialty bulbs available which now put out a bunch more lumens than before.
I can't put a number on it but can only tell you what I know from my own experience.
I am using a single t8 bulb that is 40 watt and 18,000K in my 75 gallon and I can grow all low light plants and most medium light.
I had a beautiful Amazon Sword that practically took over one end of the tank. I killed it recently, another story. But obviously I am below 1 Watt per gallon and have no problems growing plants.

The fixture I bought was just a regular 48" strip light fixture for a 48" bulb. It is an All-Glass brand strip fixture. The bulb I bought was a Lightening Rod brand 7000K 40W daylight T6 bulb. So, is that enough to grow at least medium plants??

Oh i thought was looking at the current nova t5s or the coralife .You can try it.The double strip be better or can always add another single.

Back
Top Bottom