Lights for a breeding tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, im going to make a 10 gallon breeding tank and i was wondering if i need lights. I read that you dont need lights, and i want to make this project as cheap as possible. I own a 29 gallon reef tank and i already spend alot of money on that. I dont have skills on freshwater but i kno i need a spongefilter, heater, tank, gravel, ect.

one more question. Im not really clear on the cycle process for freshwater, is it the same as salt?

Depending on the species of fish you are attempting to breed, a moonlight may actually induce spawning behavior as it does with marine. Look into the natural spawning behavior of the fish in it's native waters. Is the moon shining in the waters they are spawning in? As said, it depends on the species. So do your homework :)

Establishing a nitrogen cycle is pretty much the same as marine, but may take longer to complete due to the lack of seeded bio (like how live rock seeds a marine tank). However, there is live sand for freshwater now if you're into it.

It takes an average of two months to establish a balanced bio in freshwater.

Back
Top Bottom