LMB info and pics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike47517

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone,
I have a few small tanks right now because i cant really afford a huge one, but i hope that in a few years i will be able to have a LMB ( Large Mouth Bass) tank. Does any one have one? Or any kind of bass? Have any pics? Any info that i should know? How big of a tank do i need (i've heard i need a 300g is that correct?)? What are good tank mates for bass? Thanks for all info and pics.

You will have to have a VERY large tank for a large mouth, what I would suggest though is a Peacock Bass, they prob. get the same size a large mouth does and they are way more beautiful, they have actually broke it down and found out it was a type of cichlid which I thought was cool. Here are some video links of people with peacock bass in there tanks.

YouTube - 4.5ft comm tank Peacock Bass Cichla Temensis Monoculus Orino

YouTube - The 340gal Peacock Bass & Silver Arowana Tank

YouTube - 125 Gallon Aquarium Tank Red Devil Peacock Bass Cichlid

YouTube - My Fish Tank, arowana, motoro ray, peacock bass

YouTube - Black Arowana and Peacock Bass Feeding

Pretty cool vids.

Ok, I just thougt since you were doing large mouth, peacocks are so much more colorful, but if you like the large mouth go for em, they are basically the exact same just diff color.

Yeah. I like more dull colors in a more natural lookin habitat just my prefrence ya know. And i always catch LMB i just thought it would be cool to keep one. or maybe a rock bass if i need a smaller type of bass.

Hey if you get LMB, do not go and catch one and put it in your tank. Go to your local DNR and see if he/she can get you one. You don't want those fish in the lake. You want fresh ones.

I kept a couple a long time ago. They are eating machines. I gave them to someone with a pond as they just weren't what I was looking for.

To care for one you need a tank with a minimum of a 6x2 foot print (180g), this is minimum and would need to be upgraded after many years. They eat most anything meaty, although of course they prefer live food. Also make sure your tank does not have any heaters running.

Hey if you get LMB, do not go and catch one and put it in your tank. Go to your local DNR and see if he/she can get you one. You don't want those fish in the lake. You want fresh ones.
If i got one that was in a lake or something then i would get a baby and get him a few tank mates from the same place.

I kept a couple a long time ago. They are eating machines. I gave them to someone with a pond as they just weren't what I was looking for.

To care for one you need a tank with a minimum of a 6x2 foot print (180g), this is minimum and would need to be upgraded after many years. They eat most anything meaty, although of course they prefer live food. Also make sure your tank does not have any heaters running.
Alright thanks.

The laws vary by state. If a permit is required to keep the fish and you are a minor, your parents may get in trouble for not having the permit. Check with your local Dept of Natural Resources.

Back
Top Bottom