Lookin for a snail that...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GlitcH

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, it's gotta be big enough so that my yoyos won't bother with it and it has to reproduce asexually cuz I'd like for its offspring to be food for the yoyos.

Any ideas?

Apple snails are not asexual. They need a male and female to reproduce. The physa acuta species are asexual, or hermamphrodites. They reproduce on their own at will, ...all over the place!! LOL I've had one of these little guys lay 8 clutches of eggs in under a week!! They are small enough though that your yoyo may eat the adult before it has a chance to lay, so you'd have to have a bigger hermamphrodite species to do it. I will let you know if I find anything about the type snail your looking for. Also how big is your yoyo? If he's big enough it wouldn't matter how big the snail is because I've heard that they will pick up a snail and slam its shell against rocks or other hard stuff until it cracks open. After that it's dinner time :) I could be wrong and that just be the clown loach that does that though, I'm not sure. A boy and girl apple snail might work, because they would be big enough he couldn't really mess with them much. When they lay their eggs though it will be above the water line and it takes them 3 to 4 weeks to hatch. The babies will definitely be small enough for your yoyo to gulp em down.

My yo yo's killed my apple snail. I thought the snail would be too big for them to eat but I was wrong. I won't be making that mistake again.

So I guess they DO do the 'ole cracking and eating thing like the bigger loaches. Kind of gross. They must be French with an appetite for es'cargo like that!! Blech. Me apple snails have their own tank with a betta. They love each others company and get along well, however this depends on the temperament of the betta in question. Not all bettas will get along with snails. Do you have any new apple snails Severum Mama?? Do you have any baseball snails. I would love to get one of those for my sons!! Which means I'll have to get another 10 gal tank just for him, heh heh.

No, I haven't gotten any more apple snails, or any more snails period. I've had 2 apple snails in the past and I had trouble keeping them alive.

Good old MTS, the loaches may get some, but they'll never get 'em all. The shells are too tough for them to break, but they can suck the snails out of the shells.

lol toddnbecka beat me to it. loaches can not break the shells of mts
try crushing one in between your fingers. It's impossible

My rosey barbs just picked at the body until they died. I have one huge rosey barb and he wouldn't let any of the loaches near the apple snail. Apple snails are beautiful. I was very disappointed.

Come to think of it, I believe my barbs may have been responsible for the first apple snail's demise. Then I got another, and a couple months later added the loaches. Bad idea.

hmmmmm glad I asked this question.........I would have just gone and bought a big asexual snail that the LFS recommended.

So.......MTS it is..........benifical and a tasty treat.

Best thing is........I get them for free........the LFS has so many they give em away.

I do however, sometimes get nasty looks when I ask them to fish them out for me.

Thx guys

So if you get trumpet snails for food, will it require extra water changes because of the extra pieces of shells and such that they leave behind?

Back
Top Bottom