Looking at new fish options from Live Aquaria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottishscales

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone had experiences with live aquaria in a general sense, and I have a few fish that I want to know if anyone has experience/suggestions with.

I currently have 2 black fin tetras, 2 of the glolite tetras, a big school of neons and glowlights, about 5 harlequins, 3 albino corys, 1 albino bristlenose, 1 male cobra guppy in a 46gal bowfront with white super naturals sand.

My new fish addition choices are:

Pearl Gourami
Boesemani Rainbow
A small school of barbs

I only want to add one of the above. I'm looking for a statement fish to stand out from my smaller fish without endangering them lol. Any other suggestions are welcomed too.

I'm really heavily leaning toward the pearl but it recommends dark substrate.

Thanks in advance.

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Ginn

If you are getting the rainbow get more than 1 since they are a schooling fish.

Boesmanis and most other rainbowfish will grow much larger than your other fish. I would suggest dwarf neon rainbowfish. Many barbs are nippy and would harass your male guppy.

I know that the barbs are nippy, just didn't know in a schooling quantity if it wouldn't be so bad. And I just noticed that the bosemanis get to be abpit 3" and to have a school of them would over power my neon school.

I have 4 pearl gourami in my 55 gallon and love them. They are peaceful, serene and lovely

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Has anyone had experiences with live aquaria in a general sense, and I have a few fish that I want to know if anyone has experience/suggestions with.

I currently have 2 black fin tetras, 2 of the glolite tetras, a big school of neons and glowlights, about 5 harlequins, 3 albino corys, 1 albino bristlenose, 1 male cobra guppy in a 46gal bowfront with white super naturals sand.

Pearl Gourami
Boesemani Rainbow
A small school of barbs

I only want to add one of the above. I'm looking for a statement fish to stand out from my smaller fish without endangering them lol. Any other suggestions are welcomed too.

Thanks in advance.

I would recommend that you get more of the species you already have rather than get another species. Other than the pleco, all of your fish need to be in larger groups.

If I was you I would pick my favorite out of black fin tetras, glo lite tetras, neon tetras, or harlequin rasboras, and then rehome all of the other species and have a large school of one species. I would also get at least three more albino cories and one more male guppy. Then you could order Pearl gouramis. (They will be fine in a lighter substrate, but they won't be as colorful)

I think that you would enjoy having one large shoal rather than several small ones.

I agree. For my 20-long, I went with a shoal of 11 neons, instead of a couple of members of several different species. I couldn't be happier; they really look pretty swimming in a group. :D

I agree, a larger group of schooling fish look striking and behave more naturally. And I do have black sand, in all my tanks, it makes the fish colors pop, especially Cardinal tetras. I'm not sure this is true but fish like pearl gourami and Bolivian Rams seem to turn darker with a black substrait
I have 16 cardinals and 4 pearls in my 55 gallon, and 7 Kuhli loaches.

I have quite a big school of neons. I think my last count was about 20 or so including the Glowlights. I love my neon school and will probably make it bigger. I personally like the different species in the tank but the little darty neons are my favorite. I was just looking to add the "cherry on top" so to speak to round out my tank.

I was considering more corys but didn't know if I could mix the corys or if because I already have the albinos, I was stuck with them. Not that they aren't cool but I like variety. Haha.

As for the guppy I had another one but it randomly went awol about a week ago. Also

Thanks everyone for the advice.
I've attached a picture of my tank. The planting isn't done yet I have to order them and haven't had the chance.

I have Pearl Gourami currently in a SA/CA 150 and they do fine. They're really stunning too. I just happen to have small, black gravel. I never bought it with them in mind

Personally I love my boesmani rainbows. However I started then off in a small school in my community tank as they grow they ate all the smaller tank mates so watch out

I loved the look of the bosemanis but I wouldn't want to lose my neon school. It has taken me forever to get the numbers up because I kept losing them.

Can you mix corys? I have the albinos but if I didn't want more albinos could I have some other ones instead?

I loved the look of the bosemanis but I wouldn't want to lose my neon school.

I agree about the school, also bosemanis also need a larger group usually 3 min

Have you thought of a pair of dwarf gouramis?

I have quite a big school of neons. I think my last count was about 20 or so including the Glowlights. I love my neon school and will probably make it bigger. I personally like the different species in the tank but the little darty neons are my favorite. I was just looking to add the "cherry on top" so to speak to round out my tank.

I was considering more corys but didn't know if I could mix the corys or if because I already have the albinos, I was stuck with them. Not that they aren't cool but I like variety. Haha.

As for the guppy I had another one but it randomly went awol about a week ago. Also

Thanks everyone for the advice.
I've attached a picture of my tank. The planting isn't done yet I have to order them and haven't had the chance.

Could always go with a dwarf gourami as an alternative. I just got one and it's lovely in my 38g with my neons and Otos. :)

Pearl Gourami
Boesemani Rainbow
A small school of barbs

Thanks in advance.

I always opt for fewer species but more individuals of each species. Most fish are much happier and healthier in groups rather than as lone individuals. Plus I think that the tank is more attractive with fewer species.
So I'd add more of what you already have. That said, Boesmani Rainbows are schooling fish and get pretty big - males 4-6 inches, and barbs can be aggressive. Pear Gourami can get big as well. Get more tetras.

Back
Top Bottom