Looking for some ideas for my 220g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is my list for what i would do:

1x Silver Aro
1x Red Tiger Oscar
4x Blue Acara
6x Geophagus Altfrons

Those are all South American fish that can live together.

For a type of catfish, you might be hard-pressed to acquire a species from SA that is of suitable size. I highly recommend a Synodontis species for this tank even though it doesn't fit the SA theme. A Lima Shovelnose may be a possibility but they are a bit large for the tank.

Again, i caution against a Pleco.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

the Blue Acara are an amazing idea. I love the color and look and they will fit perfect with the other fish it seems. my trouble will be finding them large enough but I think I am going to struggle with that acrossed the board at first because of the size of the Aro. Those are better looking then any other the other ones I have thought of.

1x Silver Aro
1x Red Tiger Oscar
4x Blue Acara
6x Geophagus Altfrons
1x Catfish
1x Wood Eating pleco, What are some other ideas? a 3" royal is almost 80$ that may be more then I want to spend on one.

do you guys think i should do plants? Maybe some really big amazon sword plants and things like that?

Within a year or so you might have a few THOUSAND multis....

I second all the clown loach suggestions! They would be fun.

well the only reason I am avoiding the clow loach is because I will already have Geophagus in the tank and they like to sift in the sand with 6 of them doing that I dont think there will be much room for loaches.

Im always thinking discus when your talking jaw dropping color like your former reef system.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

IMO I would not place an Oscar with the arrowana.
I had 2 albino Oscars years ago with 2 tea cup stingrays.
The Oscar ate the stingers off the rays!
I just wouldn't chance an arro with Oscar.
Why are you getting a large arro to start?
If it is over 4 inches you will not wait long to have your large fish IMO.
And one you will have had an easier time training to eat what you want it to eat instead of vice/versa.

IMO I would not place an Oscar with the arrowana.
I had 2 albino Oscars years ago with 2 tea cup stingrays.
The Oscar ate the stingers off the rays!
I just wouldn't chance an arro with Oscar.
Why are you getting a large arro to start?
If it is over 4 inches you will not wait long to have your large fish IMO.
And one you will have had an easier time training to eat what you want it to eat instead of vice/versa.

People keep oscars and aros together all the time. I'm getting a bigger just because I want to but I was thinking about it and it will depend on if I can find large geophagus and the other fish I want. If I can't I may start off with a smaller one. A 6" fish looks really tiny is A 220g tank. The point of an Aro is a big fish to be the center piece of the tank.

How about a group of Satanoperca daemon, a large school of tetras, your pleco and good sized group of cories? That's what I would do with a 220.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fronts are very calming to watch :)

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was thinking about them but then I went to a LFS here where the owner has a tank in his office with a breeding group of them. they are are large and great looking fish however they just dont move much and that some something I enjoy is movement. they kind of just float around so eventhough I love the look of the fish I think they are out.

What ever you choose to stock in your tank I'm really excited to see the result! I love a good Amazon biotope and it would look great with a Aro!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait just read the whole thread, on second thought, if the arowana is a must, I think it would be really awesome with some giant Amazon swords at the bottom and maybe some jungle val.

.......breeding pair of arrrrrrooooooowwwwwwwwaaaaaaaannnnaaaaa!!!!

Because arowana do is what arowana else wants to do lol ....im sorry

Now how about that Amazon biotope with a breeding pair of arowana! That would be a cool tank. As I said earlier, which ever way you go I can't wait to see the result.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom