Low Alkalinity(KH)... Problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DHill33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’m fairly new to being an aquarist and have been keeping fish for right at a year now. I understand the importance of water quality and recently noticed that my 29 gallon tank has an alkalinity(KH) of 0 ppm. I know that this could potentially be bad if I have an acid spike for whatever reason because this measurement is basically the waters ability to buffer acids and keep pH stable... what I don’t understand is I’ve never had this problem before! So I tested the source, my tap water, that I use for water changes. My tap water has a GH of about 200 ppm, a pH of 6.8-7.0, and not surprisingly, an alkalinity(KH) of 0 ppm. I know KH is also measured in degrees of hardness and that 1 degree = 17.9 ppm. However it’s still 0!!! Also due to this, I’ve noticed over the last week or so, my pH has gone from 7.2 down to 6.4.. all my fish are happy still despite the KH and pH change. They still eat well and have no personality changes! So what should I do? Leave it alone? Work on raising the KH and if so, HOW? Thanks in advance...

I’ve never had to do it myself so I don’t know the details but I do know that either crushed coral or commercial buffers like neutral regulator etc can be used. Whatever you do do it slowly. Most people recommend crush coral because it’s less likely to cause swings.

You do want to get that kh up a bit, low kh is fine if you’re not seeing your ph drifting but if you are it can be very stressful on your fish.

The tank has been going for almost 4 months and started the tank off with crushed coral as my substrate. The granules are similar in size to sand and to me it’s easier to clean and better looking than gravel... I went out this morning and invested in a more reliable testing method, I was using 6 in 1 strips and now using a testing kit which involves adding a chemical to a small water sample. In my opinion all test strips are really subjective and results can be misinterpreted and/or inaccurate! I dissolved 4 tsp of baking soda in 4 cups of the tanks water for an hour and then added 1 cup of the baking soda water in the aquarium every 2 hours yesterday, and today everything is on par...

NO2 = 10 ppm
NO3 = 0 ppm
Chlorine = 0 ppm
GH = 200 ppm
KH = 110 ppm or 6 dGkh
pH = 7.4
NH3/NH4 = 0 ppm
Temp = 81.8*F

Great, yeah if you’re changing parameters you really want liquid test kits. The strips can be fine or wildly inaccurate. I think it depends mostly on their age and how they were stored and transported to the store.

Back
Top Bottom