Low nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keepers_girl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an established 10gal tank that doesn't have any nitrates anymore....at one point it was a constant 10ppm but today I tested the water and it has 0. Last water change was 10% on Monday. We do them weekly. It's a pretty heavily planted tank. The fish are really healthy and growing very fast. Is this something I should be worried about?

Plants will soak up and metabolize nitrates, but I'm really not sure if the levels will go down to 0. 10 ppm seems like a more likely reading.

What kind of test kit do you have? Is it possible that you forgot to add a reagent or mix well?

You probably have nothing to worry about, since you do weekly water changes. However, for peace of mind, you may want to bring a water sample to your lfs and have the results confirmed. I guess it's possible for test kits to expire like anything else.

I have a heavily planted tank with high light and CO2, and my nitrate is consistently zero, or at least unmeasurable with the standard kit. I have to add it to help my plants do well. If all is well with fish and plants, no worries!

I use greenhouse grade KNO3, potassium nitrate. You have to experiment with the dose but I keep it at 5ppm.

You want to keep your Phos to Nitra ratio at 1:10. Generally in a planted tank you want Phos to be .5-1 and Nitra 5-10. Try reading Rex Griggs FAQ here on AA.

Back
Top Bottom