Low Tech and El Natural Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi All,

Thought I would add some photographs if my tank. Hopefully the quality will hold up.

Tanks been through quite a journey but here we are at the moment.

IMG_3230.jpg

An underwater garden so to speak. Keep thinking of putting a background on but can’t be bothered right now.

IMG_3231.jpg

The lilly in this tank is formidable. It just puts out so many leaves.

IMG_3233.jpg

The tank is super stable right now. It is exceptionally clean and clear despite the slight tannin stained water.

IMG_3232.jpg

Beautiful! I love jungle tanks!

I just stuck a black trash bag on the back of mine. It was a temporary background at first but I find I actually rather like the look! The black makes the plants pop, and it’s not as permanent as painting the thing so if you decide to change it later no big deal.

Is this an EI fertilized tank or do you just use fish food in this one?

Beautiful! I love jungle tanks!

I just stuck a black trash bag on the back of mine. It was a temporary background at first but I find I actually rather like the look! The black makes the plants pop, and it’s not as permanent as painting the thing so if you decide to change it later no big deal.

Is this an EI fertilized tank or do you just use fish food in this one?

Thank you. I do have a black background I can use. I think I just like. The look of both.

Up until a week and a half ago this was just fish food. I was changing water every few months with rain water which had a tds of 25ppm. Some of the plants were looking a little pale so I added some ferts. Magnesium nitrate and potassium phosphate.

I hope Im not out of topic here... born and raised in a tropical island where life itself was low-tech, I had the opportunity of being introduced to tropical fish at a young age and was fortunate to meet a few breeders. Nowhere to this date have I seen the size and quality of certain tropical fish where the most elaborate filtering was a box type filter used on anything from homemade tanks to pools. The main focus on tank-keeping were "lots" of plants, aeration, water changes and quality foods (mostly live)... talk about low tech! Of course conditions were ideal as far as natural light and temperature since most of the tanks were in an outdoor settings, sure I'm probably missing some small details of maintenance, but those were the basics. This simplicity approach to fish-keeping was perhaps the best lesson I've had regarding this hobby. I'm glad to see Caliban07 taking the time to promote the low-tech approach and will be looking forward to following this thread.

I hope Im not out of topic here... born and raised in a tropical island where life itself was low-tech, I had the opportunity of being introduced to tropical fish at a young age and was fortunate to meet a few breeders. Nowhere to this date have I seen the size and quality of certain tropical fish where the most elaborate filtering was a box type filter used on anything from homemade tanks to pools. The main focus on tank-keeping were "lots" of plants, aeration, water changes and quality foods (mostly live)... talk about low tech! Of course conditions were ideal as far as natural light and temperature since most of the tanks were in an outdoor settings, sure I'm probably missing some small details of maintenance, but those were the basics. This simplicity approach to fish-keeping was perhaps the best lesson I've had regarding this hobby. I'm glad to see Caliban07 taking the time to promote the low-tech approach and will be looking forward to following this thread.

Thanks for the kind words. I must confess, I went too low tech, at less the 150 micro Siemens conductivity theres hardly anything in solution. Most of the plants I had didn’t grow much without the hardness or access to carbonates. Funnily enough all that growth from the tiger lily was on next to nothing. Perhaps lots of reserves in the seed and access to aerial co2. Clearly doesn’t mind soft water.

Back
Top Bottom