Make tank look better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HectorAndFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398664231.043842.jpg hi, I have a 90 gallon tropical tank, but lately I've been bored with it. I want to change it up, but I can't add more fish as it is already stocked. I was thinking of changing the substrate and adding decorations, but I was hoping for someone's opinion. Thanks :)

Add gravel! Not the colorful kind, unless u like it, in my opinion you should get gravel, View attachment 235221, that would be nice, as far as decoration you should have a nice big/small centerpiece with decorations such as fake/real plants in the background and the sides, the rocks are nice too, some from petsmart or so, it looks like u have an air pump? Add a decoration that includes one, that would be nice as well, mine is a hut with a spinning wheel on the side and makes the air go up to the side so it looks like bubbles are coming from the chimney, that's all I have to say! Good luck! Keep us updated

Add gravel! Not the colorful kind, unless u like it, in my opinion you should get gravel, View attachment 235221, that would be nice, as far as decoration you should have a nice big/small centerpiece with decorations such as fake/real plants in the background and the sides, the rocks are nice too, some from petsmart or so, it looks like u have an air pump? Add a decoration that includes one, that would be nice as well, mine is a hut with a spinning wheel on the side and makes the air go up to the side so it looks like bubbles are coming from the chimney, that's all I have to say! Good luck! Keep us updated

That's a really good idea :) I have two air stones actually, one long and the other round. About how many pounds of gravel would I need for it? Should I go for a specific scene or something?

I'm not sure about the pounds of gravel, but you have a 90 gallon tank so u would need a few haha, and you could make a scene! But you don't have to! I have another small tank which I am growing plants in, ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398665225.062257.jpg this is my tank, it's a 10 gallon tank, I have the centerpiece, a fake rock, fake big plants, and fake small plant, I don't really clean this tank only because the things are fake, ofcouse I do my water changes but but clean the ornaments once in a while, the planted tank tho, I clean that one a lot, I have to be more aware for that one only because it has plants haha

I also put a background on it to make it look nice as well

I love the center piece and the gravel looks nice. I'll have to wait on the gravel for a while because I'm expecting some more fry to be born soon, but decorations and plants will definitely be soon, most likely sometime next weekend. Hopefully the amount of gravel I'll need won't be too much haha

Well I looked it up! It said you should get a pound of gravel per gallon, that's if you what a 1 inch bed, so I am assuming you will need 90 pounds or more

Yes nice tall plants in your tank would like nice, as well as small once in the front with some rocks, the rocks can also be from your garden if u have some nice ones, just make sure to wash them I had a rock in my planted tank ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398665894.689732.jpg but I changed it to driftwood

Hopefully a sale for gravel happens and then I'll be in luck! What kind of plants are those? They look nice, and I have a piece of drift wood in the back corner

The plants I have are java fern, Anubias nana, amazon sword leafs, Mariano moss ball, and I got some dwarf hair grassImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398666348.049027.jpg I regret the dwarf hair grass haha it's a pain, but I have 8 red cherry shrimp in this tank.

View attachment 235220 hi, I have a 90 gallon tropical tank, but lately I've been bored with it. I want to change it up, but I can't add more fish as it is already stocked. I was thinking of changing the substrate and adding decorations, but I was hoping for someone's opinion. Thanks :)

I'd look for some pool filter sand as it looks pretty natural and is pretty cheap. If you prefer gravel you could also get some pea gravel at your local Lowes or Home Depot (both the sand and gravel can typically be found for like ~$5 for 50 pounds). Personally I'd take the fake stuff out and maybe try for a more natural looking tank. You could get a couple pieces of nice big driftwood and some river rocks. Then you could get some easy low light plants like Java fern, Java moss, anubias, bolbitis, crypts, and so forth. I'd advise against the one big centerpiece thing myself, although there's nothing wrong with it. Check out this article for good layout advice: http://www.thegreenmachineonline.co...position-the-golden-ratio-creating-perspectiv

Good luck!

Here's my 90 for some ideas... I just ordered pool filter sand from ace hardware. I scooped out 1/3 of my gravel last week and I'll do more this week since I'm changing substrate with the fish in and I don't want an ammonia spike...
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398674731.603449.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398674761.237964.jpg

I'm crossed between sand or gravel, and I know the benefits of both but still. With getting more driftwood or some river stones, I have to order it online since I live in El Paso.... And an ammonia spike? How?

It's possible to get an ammonia spike from all the nasty stuff that gets stirred up from taking the gravel out. I've been diligent with my gravel vacs over the years and I scooped out just a third of my gravel and the water was disgusting. So I'm doing it in stages to make the transition easier and hopefully cleaner! I was debating about gravel or sand 3 years ago and now finally doing it. If your unsure, I'd say go with sand. Will be much less of a hassle later. Pool filter sand is the best for freshwater tanks. If you have an Ace Hardware, you can order it online and ship free to store. Think it's $13 for 50# bag. Menards and lowes might sell it too. Or a pool supply store but then your looking at maybe $25/bag.

The driftwood, I have a med/lg and a Lg piece that I ordered from www.drsfostersmith.com. I LOVE that place! I've ordered so much from them, prices are fantastic and website is super easy to navigate. Think the large driftwood is only $10 I think for the Malaysian. (I don't care for Mopani driftwood too much.)

Decide which type of tank you like better---natural-looking or quirky/humorous. I suggest you first just google aquarium images or look at tanks on this site (through pictures or planted tanks). Even if you decide to stay pretty low-tech, you can switch to real plants (low light, low maintenance) or do a mix of both. Natural colored sands and gravels (tan, brown, black, beige) or planting substrates always make the fish and other decor look better. What do you want to "shine?" the fish? the plants? the decorations? Choose your substrate and background accordingly. Looking at lots of ideas online or in books is the best way to start. Have fun!

Not sure that's a good idea. Sand will work its way thru the gravel eventually. U can do sand with some river stones scattered on top, that's what I'm gonna do and it looks natural. Many people advise against using both gravel and sand. With sand you need to stir it every so often to release any air pockets too. But it's easier to keep the tank clean so that's worth it to me!

I'm not quite sure lol! I want to say is ok with sand and limit the plants when it gets bigger. I know they can get up to a foot long... Hopefully someone with some experience with large plecos will be able to help with that one.

Back
Top Bottom