Making $ off of my fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1111

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here's the plan: i have a 40B with 1 angel 2 platys, 1 bn pleco, and a three spot gourami. I also have a 10 that i could setup. I want to get a pair of rams,(any variety) and breed them, then move the eggs or babies to my 10, where i will raise them, and then sell them. The other idea is i could get another angel and do the same with them. i want to make a profit, even a small one. ill post more soon.
thx
fishguy1111:thanks:

also, im open to other fish suggestions and i would love comments and help

Honestly if your wanting to breed strictly for profit your in it for the wrong reasons. Secondly of your going to breed get a pair of something that is a bit harder to come by that may have various color mutations or else why would someone come to you instead of their local shop? Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

thanks. but i wanted to sell to local shops, not individual people.

Again though comes down to supply/demand. These local shops already have their suppliers. So you have to offer them something they can't or have a hard time getting or undercut the prices and drive people out. It's doable do you have a marketing plan? Or a name for your new small business. Also I advise making business cards. Anything and everything to put a name and a image to what you can offer these shops. How often you can offer new fish. A first time promo.

thanks. forgot to mention that i may post in the classifieds here, but im not sure how those work (how customer pays, when i ship)

I imagine paypal would be your best bet people would probably feel a bit more secure that way and let me know when you start producing me and my wife are moving to a 55g pretty soon and will be looking to add a lot more fish this itty bitty 10g just don't cut itImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406902884.278871.jpglow because it houses 2 turtles

thats what im gonna do. one last question, could i keep a pair of angels and a pair of rams in the 40b (with other community fish) or would they hurt eachother??

Electric blue rams sell for more than GBR's. I would go that route.

Electric blues are extremely sensitive. Finding a reputable, healthy pair is going to be quite difficult. You're gonna lose a lot more in unhealthy stock than you are gonna sell.

Here is my story, take what you will from it

I let my 6 peppered cory cats breed thinking a carnivore species I bought would eat the eggs...they did not eat the eggs.

When the eggs hatched, I thought they would eat the fry, they did not.

I had over 300 fry.

I sold some on aquabid, but I had to buy all the shipping supplies. I was not trying to make a profit, just wanted to get rid of them. They were free, the price I charged was the actual shipping cost. I only got rid of 80 fish that way. It was a pain.

I tried to sell them on craiglist for a dollar a piece, I had no takers. When I listed them for free, I did manage to get rid of some but no many.

Mostly the fry went to a local pet store for store credit, I did not really ask for store credit, I was just thankful he took them.

The local pet store asked me to breed again, he said the demand is for mostly bristle nose plecos and corys. He said live bearers and cichlids are too easy to come by. Most people (the market) buy fish on a whim and buy common stock.

I was not interested in breeding, to me there is a problem with getting rid of the extra fish.

If you breed hard to come by species, you have a smaller market to sell to because the common folk don't know what they are.

Now my son, while in college made his money selling ramshorn snails. He made more money than working at McDonalds. He was successful because there is a high demand for them. Many species of fish need snails for food. Many people ordered a 100 at a time. He sold mostly on ebay and shipping was a lot easier than shipping fish.

You just have to be careful of state regulations of which states will accept them.

That's my 2 cents worth from experience, I hope this helps

Should be able to go to your state fish and wild life web page and find that info

Unless you live in a big city you won't be able to sell off all your fry. Most shops just don't have a large supply. Your best bet would be to sell them online.

You have to have a sellers license to sell fish to any shops. Id recommend breeding super red BN Plecos. They're is a high demand for Plecos. They are easy to breed. The super reds are not readily available so pay should be good.

You have to have a sellers license to sell fish to any shops. Id recommend breeding super red BN Plecos. They're is a high demand for Plecos. They are easy to breed. The super reds are not readily available so pay should be good.

That sounds like specific legislature depending on location. Here in Michigan it doesn't matter if you have a seller's license or not.

Back
Top Bottom