male:female ratios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cowfish7

Aquarium Advice Regular
To make room for my new FW puffers, I had to move a male cherry barb into another tank (29gal). Now I have 2 males and 2 females in one tank, with a few other fish. The barbs have all been chasing each other around, and have been flashing fins, etc. There are plants for hiding, and I turned the light off.
I wonder if these guys will settle down after a day or two, or if the 2 males will be a problem? I have been keeping an eye on them, but I always worry about what goes on at night.

cowfish7

Maybe you should get a few more females. Because the ratio is 2:2 they don't really have that much to keep them "occupied".

Except for SA cichlids off hand (They usually form pairs), I believe the general ratio for most fish is 1:2 ratio, 1 male per 2 females.

For cherry barbs I have found that there is less nippiness and chasing when there are more females than males, but that was just for me, and that was assuming that I was positive about the gender! :roll: For a group of 7 fish I was pretty sure there were 2 males, and things seemed cool that way.

BTW, welcome to AA!

Yes, for most of the smaller fish have at least 1:2. More is always best as then the females don't get harrassed to death. Generally the wekaer male will be kicked out of the group and end up getting really stressed.

Good point about the stress. They all have their fins after a day together, but it looks like I will have to add some females so everybody stays happy. However, these fish are a few years old, so the new additions will be smaller and probably get picked on :?

I don't know about barbs (I only have 1), but for my guppies and platies, I have ratios of at least 3 females to 1 male. For my platies, it's actually 6 females to 1 male. (Can you believe 7 females to 2 males wasn't good enough?! Those poor girls.)

Back
Top Bottom