Manzanita looks like a dead dog under water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HUKIT

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've owned every type of driftwood over the years with many still in use but this is my first experience with manzanita, it's been under water for better part of 6 months. So my question I've never seen this type of fuzz before, it's thick patches look of what looks like hair and is very dark gray to black. I have soaked it in peroxide/water solution for days, pressure washeded it a few times, and soaked in scalding hot water over and over. The last time I pressured washed it was 4 days ago and it's already getting thick, within a few weeks it will look like a dead underwater dog again. Pics are before and after covering 5 days.

Attachments

• DSC_0521.jpg
    DSC_0521.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC_0522.jpg
    DSC_0522.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC_0508.jpg
    DSC_0508.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC_0506.jpg
    DSC_0506.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 165
Mine did that too. I've found nothing to "cure" it, but my BN pleco loves it.

I can tell you one thing, the trouble I've had with mine in the past three years, I'll only use it in terrariums from now on. Still can't get one piece to sink, had to screw the other to a piece of slate (3 years in the tank mind you) and now pieces are breaking off if I hit them with my hand or the python tube.

Pretty stuff, but I'm sticking to mopani or malaysian from now on.

Weird. I've seen the white fuzz on mopani before... but never what looks like grey black beard algae.

Looks awesome in there though!

Thanks, it's not the looks that bother me it's the slimy mess in the filters, it falls off in large sheets thus getting stuck all over the sponges.

I can tell you one thing, the trouble I've had with mine in the past three years, I'll only use it in terrariums from now on. Still can't get one piece to sink, had to screw the other to a piece of slate (3 years in the tank mind you) and now pieces are breaking off if I hit them with my hand or the python tube.

Thanks I'll look into a BN, I have 2 L190 Royals and a L137 Bruno who will not touch the stump after it's "coated". This piece is over 50" long and 20" high and 18" deep and it only took a couple of weeks to sink. The stupid thing cost me close to $200 and I'd rather not turn it into a lawn decoration yet!

Last edited:
That's weird cuz my manzanita driftwood doesn't look like that. Hope it doesn't turn into that tho. Could it be your water maybe? Water movement? Maybe the 'Manzanita Driftwood' company people will chime in to help. You could email them for some answers. Just a thought.

I actually like the look TBH... It's different and if it's not harming anything i.e. Fish,water parameters etc... Then it's cool. That's JMO.

HUKIT said:
Thanks, it's not the looks that bother me it's the slimy mess in the filters, it falls off in large sheets thus getting stuck all over the sponges.

Thanks I'll look into a BN, I have 2 L190 Royals and a L137 Bruno who will not touch the stump after it's "coated". This piece is over 50" long and 20" high and 18" deep and it only took a couple of weeks to sink. The stupid thing cost me close to $200 and I'd rather not turn it into a lawn decoration yet!

Or firewood lol.

I'm sorry but this has nothing to do with the fuzz/algae stuff on the wood lol, but what type of fish is in the 2nd picture? The yellow and red one, not the JD. That fish is gorgeous!

That looks like Black Beard Algae btw, really tough to kill. May have to resorts to chemicals. best of luck

I'm sorry but this has nothing to do with the fuzz/algae stuff on the wood lol, but what type of fish is in the 2nd picture? The yellow and red one, not the JD. That fish is gorgeous!

They are all excichlasoma festae, that's the female.

That looks like Black Beard Algae btw, really tough to kill. May have to resorts to chemicals. best of luck

I have seen black beard algae but this did not strike me as that.

Attachments

• user27198_pic37021_1336350121.jpg
    user27198_pic37021_1336350121.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
I had bba cover my giant dw piece almost completely a few months after I put it in. I planned to scrub it clean and shoot it with a clearcoat to see if itd help, but ended up replacing it instead.

I really like the look of it and really would not be concerned but what a stinking slimly mess it makes in the filters, it gets so badly embedded that I can't remove the slime from the sponges with pressure washer them!

Its not bb algae. The same stuff grows on my honey locust dw. I just plop it in my sailfin pleco's tank and its spotless within a day.

No don't spray a clear coat on your DW. I have sold Manzanita for a long time and what you have going on there is a first for me on a piece that has been in a tank so long. Sometimes you will see the white fuzz on it when it is new to the aquarium but I have never seen it like that after months of use. Double check your water conditions and lighting that may help.

You have manzanita that won't sink and is breaking down? 100% sure it's Manzanita? The longest I have had a piece take is 2 weeks and that was a huge thick dense root ball. I have yet to see a solid piece of manzanita break down either.

Hmmm that really is strange then. Maybe try letting it dry out again for a week or so in the sun.

Back
Top Bottom