Manzanita Wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K3150

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I really like the look of manzanita driftwood, in particular the really branchy, gnarly look. Because I'm a 16 year old kid I'd rather not spend a bunch of money on wood. Can I go into the local hills and collect some?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Usually, you can go into the hills, and get some, scrape off the rotted wood, sun it, and stick it in your aquarium to let it sink. It probably won't be manzanita, but it might be knarly, depending on how hard you look (And it has to be in a body of water when you find it - don't just chop a branch off your local oak tree)

Usually, you can go into the hills, and get some, scrape off the rotted wood, sun it, and stick it in your aquarium to let it sink. It probably won't be manzanita, but it might be knarly, depending on how hard you look (And it has to be in a body of water when you find it - don't just chop a branch off your local oak tree)

I would not just stick it in the aquarium right away, you might get lucky depending on he kind of wood, even after sunning it, it could release tremendous amounts of tannins or worse it could be soft and rot in the tank and definitely, no pine. What I would do is try it in a container with water for a couple of weeks and see how it goes.
All in all, It's always fun looking for and making your own driftwood.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Manzanita generally isn't present east of the Rockies. There is a flat, ground cover species that grows in the upper Midwest, Mid-Atlantic, and New England, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

Unless you live in California, your best bet for manzanita wood is to order it online.

Save-on-crafts.com has aquarium safe manzanita that is cheaper than the store, you could check them out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I do live in California and it would be the manzanita bush. So why does it have to be in a body of water. Can I just soak it for weeks?

It doesn't have to be in water but it's best that way

Please elaborate.

Finding a piece of wood in water ensures that it is pretty much devoid of tannins, otherwise the wood would require boiling to remove them, but if you want the tannins it would only require a quick scrub and rinse to remove bark and dirt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay I'm going to take my dog and go find some. I may need further directions later.

Back
Top Bottom