Marine pure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MichaelM

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive been hearing a lot of good things about marine pure and was thinking about using that instead of my bio balls but had a couple questions.

1-is it actually better and worth the price?

2-wheres the cheapest place to get it?

3-i have a marineland c220 so would it be better to use the balls or block, what size?

4-wheres the best place to put it right now have
Bottom tray-sponges
3rd tray- bio balls
2nd tray-seachem matrix
Top tray- biomax, purigen,polishing pad.

5-i assume its one of those things you dont replace/clean like the bio balls?

Sorry for all the questions but its kind of expensive for filter media so i wanna make sure its worth it and im using it right.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Honestly, the expensive filter media is really not worth wasting money over. Aquarium companies sensationalize these types of media saying you will have a healthier tank than if you went with regular filter media and aquarists eat that crap up like crazy.

Provided you have an appropriate flow rate through it, then yes it will help reduce nitrates by a small amount. But with freshwater being soo easy to keep a low nitrate level by just doing a quick water change it's really not worth it. If this was a salt water tank and wanted to make a special denitrifying filter just to run this media in then I would say go for it.

For me, I've been using this for filter media for 2 years now and nobody would ever be able to tell a difference between the $3 I spent on my filter media compared to the $30+ other people spend on theirs.

cleaning_plastic_mesh_scrubber_manufacturer_plastic_pot.jpg_220x220.jpg

Plastic pot scrubbers - $1 for a pack of 6. They will never ever clog like the super fine bio media that is sold. They are super cheap, relatively easy to find, don't break down over time, and have more surface area than you would ever need.

That's actually a great idea for biomedia Mebbid. I might steal this idea in the future lol.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ive been hearing a lot of good things about marine pure and was thinking about using that instead of my bio balls but had a couple questions.

1-is it actually better and worth the price?

2-wheres the cheapest place to get it?

3-i have a marineland c220 so would it be better to use the balls or block, what size?

4-wheres the best place to put it right now have
Bottom tray-sponges
3rd tray- bio balls
2nd tray-seachem matrix
Top tray- biomax, purigen,polishing pad.

5-i assume its one of those things you dont replace/clean like the bio balls?

Sorry for all the questions but its kind of expensive for filter media so i wanna make sure its worth it and im using it right.

1. Yes and No. Depends on how overstocked you keep your tank.

2. Cheapest I found was online over aquarium store.

3. Use spheres. Blocks are for sumps.

4. You have so much bio media already. I personally would replace the plastic bio balls with Marine Pure, since bio balls are the least affective and hold the smallest surface area.

5. Correct

P.S. Although Marine Pure holds massive surface area, the Seachem Matrix you have is also top quality stuff and you may not need Marine Pure unless your tank is extremely heavily stocked.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks in the tank is 7 black neons a clown pleco a bn pleco 2 german blues and 4 corys.

If i dont need marine pure for that stock should i still keep the bio balls or switch them with something else?

Thanks in the tank is 7 black neons a clown pleco a bn pleco 2 german blues and 4 corys.

If i dont need marine pure for that stock should i still keep the bio balls or switch them with something else?

The flow rate on your canister is too high for the denitrifying effect to work.

Just keep what you have. There's truly no reason for you to switch it out.

Alright thanks

Honestly, the expensive filter media is really not worth wasting money over. Aquarium companies sensationalize these types of media saying you will have a healthier tank than if you went with regular filter media and aquarists eat that crap up like crazy.

Provided you have an appropriate flow rate through it, then yes it will help reduce nitrates by a small amount. But with freshwater being soo easy to keep a low nitrate level by just doing a quick water change it's really not worth it. If this was a salt water tank and wanted to make a special denitrifying filter just to run this media in then I would say go for it.

For me, I've been using this for filter media for 2 years now and nobody would ever be able to tell a difference between the $3 I spent on my filter media compared to the $30+ other people spend on theirs.

cleaning_plastic_mesh_scrubber_manufacturer_plastic_pot.jpg_220x220.jpg

Plastic pot scrubbers - $1 for a pack of 6. They will never ever clog like the super fine bio media that is sold. They are super cheap, relatively easy to find, don't break down over time, and have more surface area than you would ever need.

+1
Best filter media for the money.
I have a 40g with a canister filter loaded with these that has been running for about a year, plenty of surface area and keeps a good strong flow.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom