Marineland Filter and "Carbon" Change??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenhat06

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. So as usual, I am slowly learning from mistake after mistake and beginning to get a better understanding of this whole thing you all call a "relaxing hobby" haha. Anyways, for a long time I was under the impression to follow the manufacturers advice on my Marineland filter pads and just replace it every month. Had no idea I was basically wasting all my BB and just destroying the ecosystem that was in place month after month. So now, I am just rinsing off the filter pad (as well as this more permanent "black spongy" cartridge also in the filter that I'm not sure what it is or does but it says never replace it). But now, I am reading about carbon and how it works.

So my main question is, I have an Marineland filter and use Marineland Penguin Power Filter Cartridges, Size C. If I am not replacing these every month, and carbon becomes worn out/useless after about 4-5 weeks, then is there something I should be doing to replenish it?

As always, thanks so much

Hello all. So as usual, I am slowly learning from mistake after mistake and beginning to get a better understanding of this whole thing you all call a "relaxing hobby" haha. Anyways, for a long time I was under the impression to follow the manufacturers advice on my Marineland filter pads and just replace it every month. Had no idea I was basically wasting all my BB and just destroying the ecosystem that was in place month after month. So now, I am just rinsing off the filter pad (as well as this more permanent "black spongy" cartridge also in the filter that I'm not sure what it is or does but it says never replace it). But now, I am reading about carbon and how it works.

So my main question is, I have an Marineland filter and use Marineland Penguin Power Filter Cartridges, Size C. If I am not replacing these every month, and carbon becomes worn out/useless after about 4-5 weeks, then is there something I should be doing to replenish it?

As always, thanks so much

Well I would 100% recommend getting a FLUVAL C3 or the same model. It has the BIO-filter and the CARBON and the foam pad all separate so you can take out the carbon without disrupting anything els. Buy it on Amazon to save $$$ and there is no way to reactivate your carbon.

If you don't want to switch filters, you can remove the carbon from the pads and fill it up with ceramic rings. Then, put the whole cartridge inside a pantyhose. Amazon also sells an empty cartridge that you can fill it up with any media of your desire. Just an idea.

Back
Top Bottom