Mean fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iamaj

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, i got a tank with all community fish. One of them is suppose to be community but it nips at the two larger fish in the tank. None of the other fish nip at each other (other then the neon tetras). But he is being mean to the other fish what can i do with that fish?

Hi aj,

Give us some names (or pix), and we'll give you some answers! Is it a gourami? Or is it really a pacu? Or is it a pleco or a cichlid? Depending on the fish, you can try any of several options--upgrading to a larger tank; adding real/fake plants to give the smaller fish protection; moving the aggressive fish to another tank; returning the fish.

Often, this problem occurs with the dwarf or other gourami species. They are often touted as "peaceful" community fish, but this only applies to large tanks in which the fish are kept without conspecifics (other members of the same species). I've had this problem in my 10-gallon before, and ended up moving the gourami to my 55-gallon semi-planted tank. Though he and his other male dwarf gourami friend still get semi-aggressive towards each other, the other fish are not harmed.

How big is your tank, and how many fish in it? With this info, we can help you out.

Jonathan

BTW, couldn't make out whether you meant that the neon tetras were the nipping fish or not (which would be strange). Are they the nippers, nipees, or neutral parties?

Hee hee, Ya i cant type fast. I had to hurry and get to work (the message was posted at 1:23 i normally leave at 1:22 lol)

Any ways i i have no clue what the fish is. My sister had the bright idea of getting a betta and three other fish and they all ended up in my tank, except the betta. (in the pictures the fish that came from her tank are the white fish, orange and black molly, and the solid orange fish).

Any ways, the tank is a 20 gallon hex. It has 6 neon tetras that stay in the bottom, 1 living ghost shrimp (nothing bothers it), and those three from my sisters tank. They normally stay towards the top. The white one just had babys so we got a little tank set up for them and some are still in the big tank.

Any ways its the solid orange fish that is nipping the white fish and the orange/black molly. *when i talked about the neon tetras i ment they occascionally nip each other, meaning other neon tetras*.

Heres the pics.
http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=rc_racer_007&album_id=155117

the mean fish the is SOLID orange one. Sorry for the bad pics. The picture that shows the bottom is suppose to have 6 tetras in the picture but you can barley see em in the picture.

They have the ick, i had a bad water problem a few days ago and its straightened out now and im treating them and doing water changes they do look better.

sorry for the long post :)
aj

It's a platy--which species I'm not completely sure...

I don't know a huge amount about Platies, so I'll defer this to an AA Platy expert...

If it's the only member of its species in the tank, this might be the problem, though. I think platies like to congregate (i.e. 6 or more).

platty, thats what it is. I think the white one is one too, but she doesnt nip at the other (she is the one that had a babys too).

AJ,

Prob the same species (Xiphophorus maculatus), but a different color morph. But I'm really out of my depth. If he doesn't start treatin' your other fish right, consider getting some more of the same species, transferring tanks, or giving him back to the LFS.

Good luck. I hope somebody else can help you out.

He He He You have not seen mean until you saw my tank.... I will have pictures up soon. my Red Devil lives up to his rep! :twisted: :twisted:

OH TELL ME WHAT KIND OF FISH YOU HAVE AND MAYBE I CAN HELP YOU...

Just a thought, but it may be breeding related. If you've only one female and one male platy, especially if he is under about 9 months old and still sorta in "fish adolescence" shes going to bear the brunt of his attentions. You should have room to add 2 more female platys in that 20g if you decide to keep him (chances are its a he) to spread things out a bit. Just not sure if the molly will chow on the babies or you'll need to have a plan to deal with them.

Heh, btw ChIcLiDmAsTeR, gotta read the posts! madasa did figure out what sort of fish they were and iamaj did agree *grin*

I didnt want the fish in the tank at all. Like i said my sister ha the great idea of putting the molly and those 2 plattys in a 3 galon tank (if that) with a fighting male betta, BECAUSE PETSMART SAID THEY WOULD DO FINE! Errrrrr

any ways, i personally dont want him in there, i cant give em to the pet store cause they got a bit of the ick.

As for the baby fish, i have noticed no fish nip at the babys. bu that doesnt mean it hasnt happened. But over half of the babys are in another tank.

aj

p.s. ChIcLiDmAsTeR, "chiclid" i believe is spelled "cichlid".

Back
Top Bottom