measuring phosphate levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazycat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i just tried to test my phosphate levels using the seachem phosphate test. unfortunately the color the water turned, a pretty turquoise blue, had no relation any color on the chart provided with the test, which goes from yellow to green. when i did the control test (provided with the kit) the test also turned a very pretty turquoise blue. the instructions say the control test is 1 mg/L. has anyone else experienced this color discrepancy?

and i'm sorry (in advance) but i have to ask a dorky newbie question...how does 1mg/L correspond to ppm? (i'm sure this has been covered ad infinitum but i've searched and can't find the answer.)

yup. read the instructions VERY carefully. i'm going to call seachem on monday. have you used their test? did you get shades of yellow to green? it's very frustrating since i'm new to co2 injection and fertilization...i just want my plants and fish to be happy...

sigh.

thanks for your quick response. i'll call on monday and see if i can get to the bottom of this...

i guess it's not fun if it's not a challenge! :wink:

I have a Seachem PO4 test kit and have had several and all have worked flawlessly. Let's just go over the instructions carefully again.

Fill the pipette to the BASE of the bulb...not filling the bulb...the amount is critical. Squeeze the water from the pipette into one of the cavities of the test plate.

Add 1 drop from the small bottle labeled Reagent #1.

Add 2 drops from the larger bottle labeled Reagent #2.

Stir with the stir rod for about 5-10 seconds, wait another 20 seconds and you should have a color from yellow to yellowish green.

If you followed these steps exactly making sure to measure the sample correctly then your kit must be bad if you got a turquoise color. The #1 bottle turns the sample blue, the second bottle turns the sample a yellow to green color.

I had a very similar issue with the Seachem test kit. Their website recommends soaking the sample tray in vinegar for 24 hours to remove any possible reagent contamination. I tried this method and had no luck. In the end I determined that one or more of my reagents had gone bad. I bought a LaMotte kit and have had no problems since :)

Back
Top Bottom