Red patches on Ranchu cheeks/head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severedsea

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just recently got Tofu (ranchu) 6 days ago. When I got her, she seems to have some light/small red patches on her cheeks. I thought it was just normal since she's white (Im a newbie to ranchus).

6 days has passed and the red patches seem to have worsen.

I want to medicate her but I couldn't find any conclusive information as to what it is, so not sure which medication to use.

It's a month old tank when I put her in. I've been dosing Seachem Stability every day since they moved in, according to the instructions (6 days daily now)

Setup:
Volume: 45 gal
Filtration: 2x Fluval 307 with additional Seachem Matrix and filter floss. A handful of media from my established tank.
Aeration: 2x Air stone
Plants: Java fern, anubias petite, lucky bamboo, mini water lettuce
Substrate: Dennerle crystal quartz 1-2mm
Hardscape: Some round stones

Tank mates: 2 other ranchus, moved in together with her.

Parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0-0.25 (i test every morning, and whenever there's slight nitrite, i do 40% wc)
Nitrate: 5-10
PH: 6.8-7
KH: 4
GH: 3

History:
- I do 40% wc every 2 days since 6 days ago.
- I treated Melafix the first 2 days (for new fish)
- They're all behaving normally, swimming around.
- The other 2 ranchus seem to be okay.
- She already had a light/faint red patch when I got her. It's under the skin/wen. On the photo, there are 3 patches: near gils, cheeks, near eye (looking like a sore now)

Appreciate all the advice I could get, as I'm still pretty clueless after reading a bunch of information in the internet :(

Attachments

• 20220423_080635.jpg
    20220423_080635.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220423_080633.jpg
    20220423_080633.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220423_080603.jpg
    20220423_080603.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 27
Could be an ammonia issue left over from before you got the fish. What you are already doing is going to be your best bet for the fishes recovery. Keep the water as clean as you are able.

Could be an ammonia issue left over from before you got the fish. What you are already doing is going to be your best bet for the fishes recovery. Keep the water as clean as you are able.

Thank you very much for the reply!

Just to give some update

Apr 22 ~11:00: Photo taken
Apr 23 ~15:00: Moved her to a hospital tank (4gal). It has air stone and a filter that contains bio media from my canister.
Apr 23 ~16:00: Since she has stringy white poop + the red patches that are becoming sores, I thought of medicating with API General Cure (in case it's HITH) and added ~2tbsp of aquarium salt.
Apr 24-25: Testing water parameters twice daily for ammonia and nitrite.

Apr 25 ~16:00 (as of writing):
- The 2 red patches (near eye and cheeks), have started to become more red.
- Near eye: On that photo, the one on the eye seem to have developed to a sore, now it's more apparent.
- Cheeks: This morning, the skin has started to break, and it's becoming a sore.
- Dosed another round of API General cure (instructions says after 48 hours)
- Added Melafix for the sores

Please advise if I need to change anything I've been doing! Thank you very much!

Thank you very much for the reply!

Just to give some update

Apr 22 ~11:00: Photo taken
Apr 23 ~15:00: Moved her to a hospital tank (4gal). It has air stone and a filter that contains bio media from my canister.
Apr 23 ~16:00: Since she has stringy white poop + the red patches that are becoming sores, I thought of medicating with API General Cure (in case it's HITH) and added ~2tbsp of aquarium salt.
Apr 24-25: Testing water parameters twice daily for ammonia and nitrite.

Apr 25 ~16:00 (as of writing):
- The 2 red patches (near eye and cheeks), have started to become more red.
- Near eye: On that photo, the one on the eye seem to have developed to a sore, now it's more apparent.
- Cheeks: This morning, the skin has started to break, and it's becoming a sore.
- Dosed another round of API General cure (instructions says after 48 hours)
- Added Melafix for the sores

Please advise if I need to change anything I've been doing! Thank you very much!

Apr 25 ~18:00:
- 50% wc (2 days since last wc), redosed 2tsp salt.

Apr 26: Dosed Melafix (Day 2)

Apr 27:
- 25% wc (2 days since last wc), redosed 1tsp salt
- Dosed Melafix (Day 3)

Apr 28:
- 25% wc (1 day since last wc), redosed 1tsp salt
- Dosed Melafix (Day 4)

Apr 29:
- 25% wc (1 day since last wc), redosed 3tsp salt (technically 6tsp salt on tank OR 1tbsp on 4gal)
- Dosed Melafix (Day 5)

Apr 29 (23:55 as of writing)
The sores have become more red/bigger. Not much white stringy poop, but still sometimes translucent, sometimes brown (color of saki hikari).

Are the sores becoming more red at this point, normal?

Attachments

• 20220429_220825.jpg
    20220429_220825.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 81
If things arent improving I would probably look at something more effective than melafix and aquarium salt. Whats available is dependant on where you are located. We dont have access to antibiotic medication here in UK for instance.

Would Kanaplex be suitable? Would it be too harsh to the fish?

And if I do medicate with Kanaplex, do I stop salt and Melafix altogether?

Kanaplex would be one of those antibacterial medications we cant access to without vets prescription, so i have no first hand experience with it.

I wouldnt go mixing medications unless you are pretty sure its ok to do so. I would do a water change, run carbon for a day to clear out the old medication before adding in your new. Should be ok to use it alongside aquarium salt though.

Back
Top Bottom