minimum size for quarantine tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Due to recent events I have discovered the hard way I need to quarantine new arrivals for a couple of weeks before adding to my 60 gallon tank. I have limited space, so what is the minimum size for a quarantine tank? Petsmart has a sale going on right now for anything from 1 gallon to 10 gallon with filter included. Thoughts?

I would say depending on the fish, at least 10 gallon's. If you're gonna quarantine some bigger fish, 20-30 gallons would be the minimum.

Yes, i plan to seed it with sand and driftwood from my current tank and perhaps some filter media. So for small tropicals like i plan to keep then it would be a 10 gallon?

It is best not to put substrate, wood or live plants into a QT. IMO, if it can't be removed and sterilized then it doesn't belong in a QT.

It is best not to put substrate, wood or live plants into a QT. IMO, if it can't be removed and sterilized then it doesn't belong in a QT.

Ok, so a QT tank has no substrate? Just bare tank and filter?

I agree with the others. I too learned the hard way and nearly lost my golden dojo loaches (my babies, lol).
I now have a 5.5 gallon qt tank. Bare bottom, a few fake plants and a pvc cave. Easily sterilized. I know its not very big, but it works for now. I can say though, I would def go with at least a 10. I plan to upgrade to a 10 for my qt tank and turn this into a shrimp jungle :)

Back
Top Bottom