minimum tank size for a red tail shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been thinking about getting 1 but i only have a 20 gallon. People say its too small. Is this true?

55 gal or larger... trust me ... I have one in a 75gal, with plants caves rocks and decor to set up different territories and it's the tank bully during feeding, it will chase around my TigerBarbs. I'd hate to think what would happen if my stock were in a 40B or smaller.

This nonsense I've read / heard that RTS's mostly a bottom dweller doesn't seem to apply to mine ... it swims ALL over the tank... LOL. Oh and the other nonsense that give it a cave and it'll just stay in there hasn't met mine. Only late in the evening does it hide away.

They're territorial by nature and can move around a lot.

orandafan12 said:
what about a bala shark

Dude...like a 6' tank. They're one of the fish which should not be sold commonly IMO. They require schools, they get massive, they need tons of swim room, they're skittish, etc...

To me...Bala Sharks being sold at stores to unknowing patrons is akin to Bettas in cups.

i need something to put in my 20 gallon. not a school of fish or goldfish. just something big. any ideas?

You cant put anything big in there really how about 2 dwarf gouramis and some other colorful schooling tetras? Maybe some pygmy corys too. Thats about it

Well a 20 doesn't provide swimming space for anything big. You could do a dwarf cichlid like a ram. A single dwarf gourami or a single betta make a great centerpeice fish for a 20.

zparticle said:
Could you switch it over to SW and get one or two medium size SW fish? Lots of color that way.

Maybe what did you have in mind

You cant put anything big in there really how about 2 dwarf gouramis and some other colorful schooling tetras? Maybe some pygmy corys too. Thats about it
how about a convict cichlid and a couple of tiger barbs?

I dont think i have enough money to convert ill just stick to fresh water. But i would like to have a salwater tank in the future.

I dont think i have enough money to convert ill just stick to fresh water. But i would like to have a salwater tank in the future.

Yeah price is the main reason I don't have SW right now. Originally I just didn't fell I could do it but now that I'm more comfortable with the hobby I would like to have a SW tank.

a red tailed shark only gets between 4-5 inches at 1.5" of adult size per gallon lets do the math people for a 4.5" fish its 3 gallons of tank so yes it would be big enough in a 20 gallon.

MikeyD said:
a red tailed shark only gets between 4-5 inches at 1.5" of adult size per gallon lets do the math people for a 4.5" fish its 3 gallons of tank so yes it would be big enough in a 20 gallon.

Umm...there's a LOT more to it than that. The "inch per gallon" rule only applies to small schooling fish (and even then it's a stretch). A RTS is territorial and potentially aggressive if not given enough room, and I agree personally with the minimum 55 gallon recommendation.

Forgive my seriousness if you were joking around...the 3 gallon of tank size might have been a joke that went over my head :). You'd be surprised how people take things though if it's not clear you're being sarcastic. :)

That rule "one inch per gallon" is a myth dude. Red tails need ALOT of territory. Sure, try to put one in a 5 g tank. See what happens

nope i was being serious but got it mixed up with a red fin shark. actually red-tailed need a minimum of 50 gallons. was just searching through all my schoolbooks about this fish. sorry man no shark in there. but you could put a striped peacock eel in it minmum 20 gallons and i know petsmart has them for like 5 bucks on sale this weekend. diet is mealies, bloodworms, and the occasional ghost shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom