Missing fish!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matthewtimmsfx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey forum,

I've noticed that I'm missing two of my cpd's in my 10 gallon tank. I have pulled all the large plastic plants out and searched for almost two hours this evening.

I have a few ideas. Maybe they died and I either accidentally stirred them into the gravel whilst doing the water change on Sunday or that the dwarf corys ate them if they were sitting for a few days?

It's kinda odd though as I generally keep a number check everyday.

Is this common in the fish keeping game?

Thanks,
Matt

Did you look in the filter?

Fish going missing is never okay. You need to find them or they will decompose, filling the tank with ammonia. That starts a feedback loop- more fish die from ammonia poisoning, creating more ammonia to kill the remaining critters. Very bad.

I hope you find them!

It is possible the cories ate them, or they're hiding. I'd say let the tank settle and do a water change just in case they did die, after that see if they somehow magically reappear. It's happened before

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the replies guys. I noticed they were missing and waiting a day before my normal water change, so I did it on Sunday instead of Saturday. I checked the filter, pulled out the big rocks/plastic plants and still couldnt find them. I did the water change and after fed some mini blood worms which normally gets all the shy guys out.

Still missing this morning, I guess the dwarf Cory's must have eaten them. Will keep looking though!

How long does it take for a 1inch fish to fully decompose. Thought it would be longer than a couple of days.

Cheers,
Matt

While it is possible for the corys to eat them, you would probably see the body as the other fish will feed on the slime coat first then leave the body to decompose a little. Check around the tank. It's not unusual for fish to be spooked and jump. Also are there ammonia burns on the other fish?

The lid has a hood, so I doubt the fish jumped out but I will take a look. No ammonia burns this morning. I will check again tonight. Thanks for the help guys

So 1 CPD came back, don't know how I missed him over multi days of moving plants and checking but he is back so that's good. I also found one very dead CPD also :( I'm super sad but at least I have the full count now. I guess he must have been bobbing about so everyday I looked he moved around. At least I now don't need to worry. I got the water tested and it's all good. I did a water change too. So hopefully it's all good now. Thanks for all the help

Back
Top Bottom