Missing in Action!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How big is your Leporinus Fasciatus? I know they get up to 12 inches and perhas it is big enough to start snacking on tiny fish

my leo is about as big as a killi around 1 or 1 1/2 when I bought it at the lps it said it only grows six to seven inches.

well, I had a kilifish that ate guppies like snack food. If it is the size of a kilifish id say its big enough to eat guppies and oto's.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile1.html

check out that website, great for looking up different fish and their profiles.

size: Up to 12" (30cm)

A somewhat peaceful species that benefits from a large aquaria. Its tank-mates should be of the same size and temperament

However, if you check out the comments that are listed below, you'll find this is not such a peaceful fish unless it is kept with other semi-aggressive fish. Here is an example that I believe sums it up quite nicely...

This fish was an awesome addition to my tank. It added color, and splendor, and he was very peaceful...Than he grew. Once this fish grew he became extremely aggressive. He killed my algae eater, he killed a large angel. Both fish were nearly unrecognizable by the time he was done with them. Every fish in my tank has a scar from him. I eventually had to give him away to a friend that has a more aggressive tank.

I'm planning in the near future to purchase a 60g tank and use it for african cichlids like yellow lab. do you think this would be a nicer enviroment for leo to be in. right now he is only about 1inch to 1 1/2 inch long.

I believe your fish is a south american and so it probably won't be a good choice to house it with african cichlids. At the very least, they have different water requirements.

kaz said:
1 guppy, 2 ottos, 1 tetra all missing in action in the past month.

I didn't even notice you had a killi fish.. they have HUGE mouths and will eat anything small enough to fit in their mouth. As i said, i had a golden wonder killi and he ate 4 guppies in one week. He also tried to eat a baby clown loach (it was less than 1/2") but wound up regurgitating it.

I wound up taking the killifish back to the store because i didn't want it eating any more of my small fish.

Yes.. the Killi can swallow a fish one inch in size.. trust me, they have HUGE mouths.

Back
Top Bottom